• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devilscage11122

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

i was in my friends car and we got pulled over and we were searched. they found a pipe on me and they gave me unlawful possesion of marijuana. They did not find any herb though. I go to court in 2 weeks. Is an acd going to be givin to me? or am i going to have to fight the charges? also will this ruin my chances of getting a job in the future?

Isis1

i was in my friends car and we got pulled over and we were searched. they found a pipe on me and they gave me unlawful possesion of marijuana. They did not find any herb though. I go to court in 2 weeks. Is an acd going to be givin to me? or am i going to have to fight the charges? also will this ruin my chances of getting a job in the future?
what is the exact citation? makes it easier to look it up. should be written on your ticket.

is this your first offense? were you on probation for any prior offense? are you a legal minor?

it won't ruin your career forever...but it can have an effect on certain careers.

it is always suggested to fight the charge if it is a bogus charge. in this case...you may want to look at the option of pleading. which may or may not be offered by the ADA.

devilscage11122

221.05 unlawful possession of marijuana

im 20 and this is my first time
i don't want to plead guilty because i want to try and keep it off my record
how do i go about asking for an acd???
and anything else you have to help me out is much appreciated

Isis1

221.05 unlawful possession of marijuana

im 20 and this is my first time
i don't want to plead guilty because i want to try and keep it off my record
how do i go about asking for an acd???
and anything else you have to help me out is much appreciated
okay. so it's a violation. not a misdomeanor or a felony. a fine of $100.00.

this sounds like nothing more serious than a speeding ticket.

wait for Carl or Highwayman (our resident police officers), but i'm almost positive an ACD might not apply.....i'd have to further check....

HomeGuru

**A: did you are anyone use the pipe such that if tested there could be residue?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Was the pipe taken from you?

Where did this occur, i.e. what county? Things tend to be alot different in NYC so it's an important question.

An ACD is acceptable but that's up to the prosecutor. Sometimes defendant's are also given a choice of pleading guilty to some type of administrative violation in lieu of the UPM. In any event, UPM charges generally won't show on a criminal history based on what I've seen in the past.

You Are Guilty

Actually, I just read an article in the LJ last week about youth courts that are now up and running in several counties for "crimes" such as these. What county did this occur in?

You Are Guilty

I would think that the fact that you're holding a UPM ticket says the answer is "no". It's really not a big deal - much like a parking ticket.

But if you want to contest it, that is certainly your right. Just be advised there are actual "crimes" that you could have been charged with but were not (e.g., 221.10) before you decide to tilt at any windmills.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
im up in the adirondack area and they did take the pipe and there probly was resin in it but don't they need a lab report???
And what county is the "adirondack area"??

Generally when this type of evidence is seized it WILL get sent to a county or state lab for analysis. The prosecutor will then decide, based on the results, whether to prosecute the case, offer a plea, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">