• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urology procedures caused ED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stennett

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Recently I've had to endure several urological procedures in response to a urinary tract infection. I was catheterized for several days. But it took two different nurses to successfully insert the catheter. Then a cystoscopy was done to look inside my bladder. This too was painful and required pushing. And then bladder surgery. After all the instrumentation, I was left with ED which I've never suffered from before. I also believe I have a urethral stricture.

If testing shows that the erectile dysfunction has a physical origin like nerve damage, can I potentially sue?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Arizona

Recently I've had to endure several urological procedures in response to a urinary tract infection. I was catheterized for several days. But it took two different nurses to successfully insert the catheter. Then a cystoscopy was done to look inside my bladder. This too was painful and required pushing. And then bladder surgery. After all the instrumentation, I was left with ED which I've never suffered from before. I also believe I have a urethral stricture.

If testing shows that the erectile dysfunction has a physical origin like nerve damage, can I potentially sue?
You will want to take all of your medical records to a medical malpractice attorney of your choice for review. Said attorney can arrange for experts to review your records and give informed opinions.

Stennett

I haven't spoken to any doctors about this. I'm not sure whether I should go to another facility or stay within my current provider (all of the procedures thus far were done within a certain hospital network.) If I am contemplating a lawsuit, would I want to get examined somewhere else?

Zigner

I haven't spoken to any doctors about this. I'm not sure whether I should go to another facility or stay within my current provider (all of the procedures thus far were done within a certain hospital network.) If I am contemplating a lawsuit, would I want to get examined somewhere else?
I think you need to start out by speaking to your doctor. I'm actually surprised that you haven't.

PayrollHRGuy

I agree. Doctors need to be made aware of the side effects and related problems regarding surgeries they perform. To not immediately have done so may well not have allowed the doctor to quickly deal with a known side effect.

quincy

The first thing anyone should do when they are experiencing any problems after surgery is to speak to their physician.

A long delay in seeking medical care after problems arise can adversely affect not only the medical treatments available but also the legal remedies available.

Stennett

I didn't speak to anyone because I was kind of embarrassed and was hoping this would all pass. And also I was kind of mad. Are you saying I should definitely speak to the same physician who performed the surgery (whom I dislike)?

Zigner

I didn't speak to anyone because I was kind of embarrassed and was hoping this would all pass. And also I was kind of mad. Are you saying I should definitely speak to the same physician who performed the surgery (whom I dislike)?
If you take your car to a mechanic and it has a strange clunk after you leave, do you not mention it to the mechanic?

quincy

Yes. Speak to your physician and the physician who performed the surgery. Do this BEFORE you speak to an attorney.

PayrollHRGuy

That's a pretty stupid thing to be embarrassed about with a urologist and the longer you wait to talk to the doctor that did the surgery may cause more damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">