• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Passport valid to enter a bar?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state?
California

I didn't really know where to post this. This seemed like the closest match.....

Anyway. Is there an official rule of some kind that states a bar has to accept a US passport as a valid form of id to enter a bar and/or drink??

I only have my US passport and didn't think it would be a problem getting into bars, but recently, every bar I go to has some problem with it. I know it's the most valid form of ID you can get, but they don't seem to know the same thing as me....

A couple have told me they wont accept it because it doesn't have your height, weight, hair color, etc. on a passport like a license does. One even told me that it couldn't be accepted because a US passport isn't valid in the US, only in other countries. People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Any suggestions on what I can say/do to these door guys? Or is it strictly up to each individual bar?

las365

Your best bet is to obtain a California driver license or state-issued ID card.

I don't know the law on this, but I'd guess that a bar's legitimate interest in not having/serving underage patrons would outweigh any potential claim of discrimination you might allege.

Carl knows California law up & down. He'll probably come along to give you the correct answer to your question.

heyitsme

I've already applied for a CA ID, but you know the DMV....I probably won't get it until 2009. Until it comes in the mail, and who knows when that will be, I have to use my passport. It usually isn't a problem, but it seems like with each bar I go to, the more and more problems I get.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You'll have your license/id within 2-4 weeks of applying for it (yes, I know the CA DMV).

A bar doesn't HAVE to let you in if it doesn't want to (so long as not wanting to isn't based on you race, orientation, etc.)

EDIT: Of course, based on your history, you would be better off finding somewhere else to spend your time. Sounds like you should stay away from bars to me...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">