• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Truck purchased but has been in the shop for nearly a month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello,

I purchased a 2019 GMC Sierra Truck and within 4 days of ownership it was put in the shop at the GMC Dealership where I purchased it.

It went in for a pulley replacement (which was noted before I bought it)

I called them 2 days later to find out that the part did not fix the issue and it actually needed a pump for the transmission

The next day I found out that an employee hit my truck with another vehicle on the lot

The damage to the body was repaired

The pump for the transmission was installed and they let me know it did not fix the issue

They ordered a new transmission (no ETA as of today on its arrival)

Truck Purchased: June 17th 2023
Truck in for Pulley Replacement: June 22nd 2023
Repair did not work and the truck was hit: June 25th 2023
Pulley Replacement did not fix the issue: July 8th 2023
Transmission received: Unknown

As you can see, I owned the truck for almost a month and drove it for 4-5 days before repair

I know in Pennsylvania the traditional 'lemon law' does not apply to this purchase

Are there any similar laws or rights that I have as I am worried their repairs will result in an unreliable vehicle

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
At this point, they are set on repairing it and giving it back to me.

I mentioned that I lost faith in the truck/repairs but they did not respond to that statement.
Honestly, it seems to me like that are doing the job right. They could have just replaced the one item you agreed upon and then given the truck back to you.

adjusterjack

At this point, they are set on repairing it and giving it back to me.

I mentioned that I lost faith in the truck/repairs but they did not respond to that statement.
Are these repairs being done under some sort of warranty?

If yes, then count your blessings and file it under "shit happens."

Are these repairs being done under some sort of warranty?

If yes, then count your blessings and file it under "shit happens."
This repair is done under “we told you it was a pulley when you decided to purchase and we stated we would replace the pulley as a condition of the sale”

adjusterjack

I'll rephrase the question.

Are all the repairs (pulley, pump, transmission, body damage) being done at no cost to you?

I'll rephrase the question.

Are all the repairs (pulley, pump, transmission, body damage) being done at no cost to you?
yes, at this point everything is covered

I have 23k miles left on the factory warranty and I purchased an extended warranty

the issue is, I have purchased the truck almost a month ago and have driven it for 4-5 days

the repair is likely going to take weeks-months as the dealership has no idea how long it will take to get the trans in

So I am:
Making a truck payment
Paying for insurance for the truck
While driving a loaner (small SUV)

Because of a sales person who did not tell me that it had the major issues it had and now I am going to continue to pay a payment and insurance for an unknown amount of time because "these new transmissions are hard to come by"

At the end of the day, I bought the truck because I need a truck to tow.

The dealership has stated multiple times that they cannot provide a loaner truck and the agreement with the loaner SUV is that I essentially cannot tow with it

Zigner

Because of a sales person who did not tell me that it had the major issues it had...
There's really no way you can show that the salesperson knew the extent of the problems with the truck.
... and now I am going to continue to pay a payment and insurance for an unknown amount of time because "these new transmissions are hard to come by"
In the meantime, you've been loaned an alternate vehicle and are not putting miles on your own vehicle.

There's really no way you can show that the salesperson knew the extent of the problems with the truck.
In the meantime, you've been loaned an alternate vehicle and are not putting miles on your own vehicle.
That makes sense and I appreciate the clarification.

My focus was that the truck was 'gone over' by the service department and I was assured it was a simple issue that would be taken care of in 1 day of service.

If I would have known that this truck had major transmission issues, I would have put 2 and 2 together and assumed that the previous owner beat on the truck and likely abused the engine as well and therefore I would not have purchased it.

I trusted that the part needed was a simple pulley and after purchasing I find out it has major issues that they did not indicate.

Just seems like a bait and switch situation

And while I agree that I am getting a loaner, there is a major price difference and usability difference between a small SUV and a large truck.w

Zigner

That makes sense and I appreciate the clarification.

My focus was that the truck was 'gone over' by the service department and I was assured it was a simple issue that would be taken care of in 1 day of service.

If I would have known that this truck had major transmission issues, I would have put 2 and 2 together and assumed that the previous owner beat on the truck and likely abused the engine as well and therefore I would not have purchased it.

I trusted that the part needed was a simple pulley and after purchasing I find out it has major issues that they did not indicate.

Just seems like a bait and switch situation

And while I agree that I am getting a loaner, there is a major price difference and usability difference between a small SUV and a large truck.w
I understand that you are frustrated, but try to take a look at this from a bit of a wider angle. The dealer would much rather have let you be on your way as a customer who was happy with the purchase and the customer service provided by the rapid repair of a minor problem. The chances that they went down this road intentionally are incredibly slim. They are just as stuck as you are, and, while you will eventually get a fully functioning truck, they won't even have the benefit of a happy customer.

I understand that you are frustrated, but try to take a look at this from a bit of a wider angle. The dealer would much rather have let you be on your way as a customer who was happy with the purchase and the customer service provided by the rapid repair of a minor problem. The chances that they went down this road intentionally are incredibly slim. They are just as stuck as you are, and, while you will eventually get a fully functioning truck, they won't even have the benefit of a happy customer.
I understand what you are saying.

At the end of the day, I paid for a truck and I actually need a truck and according to the dealer, it 'could be awhile' until I get what I paid for.

Doesnt seem right

Bali Hai Again

I mistakenly pressed “reply” instead of “like” to this post. But it posted anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">