• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Copyrighted music on Youtube (in animations)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aleque

I was not really "afk". I just didn't know how to respond. I was amazed by the lack of maturity in this topic, especially by senior members. I don't know, maybe it's normal, that when you have so much experience in the field, that your ego gets so inflated, and you start acting arrogant - like you are above others, especially towards those with less knowledge. My first impression of this forum (before I made the topic) was, that I could be honest and sincere, since it is "free advice", and to get an understanding reply. But instead I was mocked and called thief. That is just silly.

I just can't discuss with narrow-minded people like that, on their level. I refuse to be aggresive, nor submissive towards such behavior. But I can't ignore it, either. I just felt like saying this.

I did not come here to get advice on how to steal. I know, that my question (regarding what I wanted from this topic) was vague when I wrote: "I am not even sure what to ask. I am simply looking for some advice here. I am considering to ignore the copyright and going back to my old methods. But at the same time it's annoying to have this uncertain paranoia of "what if?"."
I just did not know how to ask this properly. You could have just said, that it's a good idea to make my own music or acquire free or royalty free.

Before you start throwing accusations and calling other people names - because they don't fit into your little category - try to see it from a different perspective: I was a young guy with a vision that I wanted to express. Music supported that idea. Specific songs came to mind when working on specific animation scenes. At the time I was creating my animations (years ago), I was not even aware, that I was infringing any laws (I probably did not even infringe any laws, since I haven't made a single cent of any of my works). I was merely playing with forms and expressing ideas. But I had no intention of making any money of it back then, as I do now. This is why I created this topic. If I did not care about breaking any laws, I would just use the music without asking. But I created a topic to ask for advice (on how to avoid lawsuit), not to get mocked.

Will you sue your own kids if they play with clay and accidentally created a shape of a Star Wars figure? Or if they hummed a copyrighted melody by accident? You guys might be academically smart, but also very small-minded. And unfortunately, most of the world is governed by types like you. I guess, the humanity didn't learn much from the last world war.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was not really "afk". I just didn't know how to respond. I was amazed by the lack of maturity in this topic, especially by senior members. I don't know, maybe it's normal, that when you have so much experience in the field, that your ego gets so inflated, and you start acting arrogant - like you are above others, especially towards those with less knowledge. My first impression of this forum (before I made the topic) was, that I could be honest and sincere, since it is "free advice", and to get an understanding reply. But instead I was mocked and called thief. That is just silly.

I just can't discuss with narrow-minded people like that, on their level. I refuse to be aggresive, nor submissive towards such behavior. But I can't ignore it, either. I just felt like saying this.

I did not come here to get advice on how to steal. I know, that my question (regarding what I wanted from this topic) was vague when I wrote: "I am not even sure what to ask. I am simply looking for some advice here. I am considering to ignore the copyright and going back to my old methods. But at the same time it's annoying to have this uncertain paranoia of "what if?"."
I just did not know how to ask this properly. You could have just said, that it's a good idea to make my own music or acquire free or royalty free.

Before you start throwing accusations and calling other people names - because they don't fit into your little category - try to see it from a different perspective: I was a young guy with a vision that I wanted to express. Music supported that idea. Specific songs came to mind when working on specific animation scenes. At the time I was creating my animations (years ago), I was not even aware, that I was infringing any laws (I probably did not even infringe any laws, since I haven't made a single cent of any of my works). I was merely playing with forms and expressing ideas. But I had no intention of making any money of it back then, as I do now. This is why I created this topic. If I did not care about breaking any laws, I would just use the music without asking. But I created a topic to ask for advice (on how to avoid lawsuit), not to get mocked.

Will you sue your own kids if they play with clay and accidentally created a shape of a Star Wars figure? Or if they hummed a copyrighted melody by accident? You guys might be academically smart, but also very small-minded. And unfortunately, most of the world is governed by types like you. I guess, the humanity didn't learn much from the last world war.
Your follow up post only confirms that you are just fine with stealing in order to get ahead.

quincy

Aleque, you have still not said in what country you reside. This site handles US law questions only. If you are not in the US, you will need to consult with someone in your own country to learn more.

No one on this forum is responsible for making the laws, by the way. We are here to tell you what the laws are. What you do with that information is up to you. Here is a link to the US Copyright Office where you can read more: http://www.copyright.gov

Your use of "senior members" in your post indicates you are not who you say you are. Comparing this forum and the responses to your questions to world wars, by the way, is just plain silly.

Last edited:
A

Aleque

Aleque, you have still not said in what country you reside. This site handles US law questions only. If you are not in the US, you will need to consult with someone in your own country to learn more.

No one on this forum is responsible for making the laws, by the way. We are here to tell you what the laws are. What you do with that information is up to you. Here is a link to the US Copyright Office where you can read more: http://www.copyright.gov

Your use of "senior members" in your post indicates you are not who you say you are. Comparing this forum and the responses to your questions to world wars, by the way, is just plain silly.
I live in Denmark.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Aleque, your post has been sent to the moderator to have the YouTube link edited from it. The post should be returned to the thread when the edit is complete.

Your questions as to the legality of your use of the copyrighted music of others without authorization from the copyright holders has already been answered. This forum, however, is not a debate forum. If you are looking for a discussion, there are other places on the internet for that.

And, if you want to learn the copyright laws of your country and how your animations may (or may not) be violating them, you will need to seek out legal assistance in your area of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">