• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using mold as an excuse to break lease..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state? MO

6- month lease - Tenant called three days before next month rent is due to indicate that she wanted out of lease
In three days it will be the first of Dec..which is when rent is due

Seems like a tenant will use every excuse in the book. This is a whopper!..Every house has some mold..like windows seal and in the bathroom..My renter called and said daughter was getting sick, (tenant a heavy smoker), and it could be from inhaling the mold. I told her that mold is a natural thing that grow with heat and cold combine called moisture...she was aware that mold will result in bathroom if she didn't take care of it..now, I am NOT talking black growing mold that came from outer space, like she claim, but normal black spots like a pencil tip...after I told her "NO", she used the excuse that maybe she inhaled the sewer backup and made her sick...(she came home one night, called us about sewer back-up in basement, we came that same evening and husband could not unplug, and had a plumber the next day), I told her "NO" again...then came the drafty wind might caused her sore itchy throat, (had to replace window with plastic until order came through, once again when she called about window being broke, we came that day and covered in plastic till window order came in), I said, "NO".. I told her the real reason is that she works 40 minutes up and 40 minutes back, and her truck is a gas hog and still took daughter to school in that town instead of school here in this town, we kinda figure she would leave at end of lease..(she only been there a month, she whim-wham around it and said she would let me keep the deposit, (that was nice of her, right!). I told her that I would keep the deposit as she indicated plus next month rent because end of month is in three days and I would release her from the lease...if I get it rented I would prorate and give back...but the more I stew over her lying and just wanting out at my expense, can I keep the full month rent along with deposit? Thanks...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">