• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Entitlement & Accrual

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EEaffairs

What is the name of your state? Offices at GA and NJ

Is there a law that governs vacation entitlement and accrual?
Or is it at the employer's discretion to:
1. Allow vacation accrual
2. Stop accrual when reached a particular # of vacation days
3. Allow vacation Encashment

Beth3

Is there a law that governs vacation entitlement and accrual? No.

Or is it at the employer's discretion to:
1. Allow vacation accrual
2. Stop accrual when reached a particular # of vacation days
3. Allow vacation Encashment
Yes to all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even in states where vacation time is considered wages (which neither Georgia nor New Jersey does) the answer is still yes to all. I believe CA, and only CA, has certain limitations with regards to #2, but that's it.

EEaffairs

Thank you.
Also, if the the company office is head-quartered in GA/NJ but, the employee is at a client location, which is in CA - will the CA law be applicable to this employee?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. However, nothing will change except that IF the employer decides to allow vacation accrual, which they are not required to do in any state, I believe they have to allow a certain percentage (I don't know what the percentage is - maybe someone else will) of that accrual before it can be capped. They do not have to allow accrual; they do not have to allow the vacation to be cashed out (although they do have to pay any accrued but unused time at termination, something neither NJ nor GA requires) and they CAN cap the accrual as long as they follow the state laws on percentage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">