• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle was repossesed and we aren't able to get our personal belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcolon515

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello on 12/22 our vehicle was repossessed. On 12/23 we called the company and asked about retrieving our personal belongings which included our 2mo old's carseat. WE had to leave a message. Someone called us back and said we needed to get a notarized letter from the owner of the vehicle to and then call back and schedule an appt. We called again on 12/23 and left another message stating we had the letter and needed to schedule an appt to get our belongings. No one returned the call. On 12/28 we called again and had to leave another message and no return call. On 12/29 we called again and had to leave another message. Meanwhile we received a letter stating they inventoried our stuff and we need to ay 70 to retrieve our items and that after 3 days we would be charged 5.00 per day.

My question is how the heck am I suppose to get my stuff back when I can't get these people to call us back. Should I just show up with cash in hand and say im here to get my belongings? I tried to call the local police b/c this is the only carseat we have for our 2mo old and if we had an emergency and needed to leave what would i do? Any suggestions??

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello on 12/22 our vehicle was repossessed. On 12/23 we called the company and asked about retrieving our personal belongings which included our 2mo old's carseat. WE had to leave a message. Someone called us back and said we needed to get a notarized letter from the owner of the vehicle to and then call back and schedule an appt. We called again on 12/23 and left another message stating we had the letter and needed to schedule an appt to get our belongings. No one returned the call. On 12/28 we called again and had to leave another message and no return call. On 12/29 we called again and had to leave another message. Meanwhile we received a letter stating they inventoried our stuff and we need to ay 70 to retrieve our items and that after 3 days we would be charged 5.00 per day.

My question is how the heck am I suppose to get my stuff back when I can't get these people to call us back. Should I just show up with cash in hand and say im here to get my belongings? I tried to call the local police b/c this is the only carseat we have for our 2mo old and if we had an emergency and needed to leave what would i do? Any suggestions??
Show up ~ cash in hand

Jcolon515

Leave a message ahead of time telling them when you will be there.
so they can leave? or act like their not there? I just spoke with the local police dept not the sheriffs dept and according to them if we show up with the reasonable fees then they have to hand over the items.

can they charge us for the days they were closed?

JustAPal00

Look, you knew you weren't making the payments. The next time you are behind on your car payments, get your stuff out before hand. Every time you leave the car, assume it's the last time you will see it.

Jcolon515

Look, you knew you weren't making the payments. The next time you are behind on your car payments, get your stuff out before hand. Every time you leave the car, assume it's the last time you will see it.

actually for your information that was not the case..it was part of a bankruptcy case and we were suppose to be notified when they were picking it up ..next time don't assume we all know what happens then!

Antigone*

actually for your information that was not the case..it was part of a bankruptcy case and we were suppose to be notified when they were picking it up ..next time don't assume we all know what happens then!
Your specific details matter not in the case of JustAPal's advice. He didn't assume a darn thing.:cool: ~ he didn't have to.

JustAPal00

all i asked was about obtaining my right to obtaining my items not for a smart ass answer..
Look, it was in no way a smart ass answer. It was good advice. I went through it too. I went through a chapter 13 and had two cars reposessed. I knew I wasn't making my payments, and I knew that at some point they were going to come for the cars, so i was prepared. I parked them both on the street in front of my house, I kept all my personal belongings out of them, and I drove them until the just disapeared one day. Of course I have also done repo's so I knew that they weren't going to make an appointment. You knew you weren't paying for them, did you really think that repo men call in advance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">