• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract Validity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elnet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I requested a price quote on some cement work for a back patio on my house from a odd job posting on craigslist, the guy is a handyman, not a licensed contractor. When I detailed out what I wanted, the guy started talking about landscaping work to the front of my house, to which he got quite excited about, yet, wasn't something that I was interested in, which sounded more like what he specialized in. I told him, well I need the work done out back, I am not worried about the work out front. I left town for a while, and when I returned I was surprised to see landscaping work to the front of my house, no price quote, no cement either, no notice on my part to proceed. As far as the landscaping work done, I was happy with what was exsisting and would never have paid to have that work done, it was in my opinion ugly. I contacted the guy, he says I owe $1000 for time, material etc. I told him, I wanted the cement work done in the back of the house and asked for a quote. It was a back and forth type of thing, you said this, you said that which is not what I remember, he said, I have a lawyer and he says verbal contracts are enforceable, but it wasn't even what I remembered, apparently he does this all the time.

1. I only wanted the work done to the back of my house, which I never ever got a price quote on
2. I never gave an okay, as to what if he wanted a million dollars, etc.,
3. Can I be held responsible for something I never wanted/agreed to

adjusterjack

It was a back and forth type of thing, you said this, you said that which is not what I remember, he said, I have a lawyer and he says verbal contracts are enforceable, but it wasn't even what I remembered, apparently he does this all the time.
Yes, that's how fly-by-night handyman scammers work and you let yourself walk right into it.

1. I only wanted the work done to the back of my house, which I never ever got a price quote on
Which is on you, for not taking control of the situation.

2. I never gave an okay, as to what if he wanted a million dollars, etc.,
3. Can I be held responsible for something I never wanted/agreed to
Can you prove that you never agreed to it?

He's got the advantage. The completed work gives credibility to his assertion that you agreed to it.

Check the guys name on the internet or with the state or with the police to see if he's got a record. If he does, might give you some leverage. Most of these crooks disappear when the police get involved.

Otherwise, do what you gotta do to get out from under this and learn from the experience.

quincy

Yes, that's how fly-by-night handyman scammers work and you let yourself walk right into it.

Which is on you, for not taking control of the situation.

Can you prove that you never agreed to it?

He's got the advantage. The completed work gives credibility to his assertion that you agreed to it.

Check the guys name on the internet or with the state or with the police to see if he's got a record. If he does, might give you some leverage. Most of these crooks disappear when the police get involved.

Otherwise, do what you gotta do to get out from under this and learn from the experience.
I suggest you don't pay for work you didn't contract for and, if the fellow sues, file a counterclaim for the damage he did to your landscaping.

HRZ

I suggest you not talk or cmmunicate with this guy or let him on the,premises to do anything lest it be twisted to ,sound like consent or affirmation ...And be prepared to order him off with keen attention to trespassing laws .

LdiJ

I suggest you don't pay for work you didn't contract for and, if the fellow sues, file a counterclaim for the damage he did to your landscaping.
I agree with Quincy on this one. I think that Adjusterjack is off the mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">