• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

galxx1999

My husband and I made a verbal contract to purchase the house from his mother that we now live in. The deal was suppost to be finalized by us taking transfer of title a few weeks after our wedding. In the mean time we were going to make the much neeeded repairs on the house and take over all the household bills. We did this for 18Months. That was suppose to take place of a down payment. We aggreed upon buy the house for 150k. 2 Weeks after the wedding we asked her to get a purchase and sales agreement and sign it so we could give it to lender to secure the loan. Appoxiamitly 2.5 months later she wants 75K more because the market has changed since our orignal deal.
That was totaly unexseptible to us. She broke the contract and has since moved out of the house. She has never spoken to us about the house again. What legal recourse do we have. and also where do we stand as far as living in the house we dont even know where she moved to and has moved all her belongings out. Are we now trespassing? Does she have to Evict us? we have no idea what to do

Last edited:

HomeGuru

galxx1999 said:
My husband and I had made a verbal contract with his mother to purchase her house for a certain fee. It took us all over a year to come up with a fair price that we all could live with after we all agreeed we called our loan broker and he came over we all agreed that we would wait to sign the papers on the house till My husband and I ( we where not marraid at the time) were marriad then about a month before the wedding we had an appraiser come over do the appraisle so that we could get out loan going right after the wedding within in days after the wedding i asked my mother in law for a purchase and sales agreement so i could turn it in to my leander so we could get a closing date and get the ball rolling she at that point then decieded she wanted more money for the house our original deal was that we would make the repairs that the house needed put some of the utuilities in our name and pay all the bills until we closed on the house and that basicaly was gonna be our downpayment and was why we agreed upon 150K for a house that at the time was worth about 185k Now to give a little more background my motherin law was in no rush to sell the house because she has a diabled son that also lives in that house that she needed to get him on SSI and placed in an assisted living program and all this was gonna take 6months to ayear witch was fine with us because like i said i told her that i wanted to wait till after we were marraid before i had to start paying a mortage and that way also we would be able to make all the repairs that the house needed while we could afford it before having to take on a big mortage payment all was she told all the neighbors she had sold the house to my husband and myself so they wouldnt be getting new neighbors after all and she also told lots of other people the agreement about us making the repairs and paying all the bills and we would close on house after the wedding a few weeks after the wedding so now like i said she deciede she wanted more alot more cause the marget had gone up and she didnt want us to porofit from it when i had the house appriased it was an inflated aprraisle so that we could get what we needed from our lender well she asked us what it appraised for and my husband told her so she was hell bent on that figure after that with was 239K so from 150k to 239K is a big difference all we could get our lender to approve us was on 200k so we made her a final offer of 200k even though i was agaist it since we had allready made a deal at 150k well she went on vacation came back after recieving our offer and never still till this day has said a word about it and about 2 weeks ago she has since moved out of the house So i assume she isnt selling us the house now since she never gave a response to our last offer we are still living in the house we have been looking at other homes basicaly do i have a legal right to sue her for breach of contract and what our are rights as far as staying in the home she hasnt put it on the market and their are other repairs that still need to be made help what do we do ?
My response: your post is too long. Make it 50-200 words rather than over 3000 words.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">