• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verizon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thomasimp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Verizon is a wireless cell phone firm - they PRIMARILY sell a service.
They ALSO re-sell cell phones made by other manufacturers such as Palm, BlackBerry, etc.

While talking with Verizon about my service plan today, they told me that I can upgrade to the new Palm device and only pay $10.00. So I immediately resolved to buy one by going to a physical outlet (the on-line ordering was sold out). (Likely they stocked too many and are now trying to dump them at some MINIMAL to make some money.)

When I got to the store, they agreed the phone was only $10.00 (the normal price is about $280.00). HOWEVER! they told me I would have to pay tax on the $280.00 (and this amounted to about $30.00)

Driving home, I began to think (my big problem) and get irritated. Maybe I am a cynic, but I don't - for a moment - believe Verizon will forward that $30.00 to the city/state/federal coffers. I think they are going to keep it.

How can I find out?
Can a class action be filed?
Do I have a right to get that money back if it is not given to the state?

(or should I just get over it and let them screw the people - if, indeed that is what they are doing: who knows! maybe they are forwarding the $30.00)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

thomasimp

On the receipt, it says this:
"Some states require us to compute sales tax on the full retail price or inventory cost of the device you purchase."

Now the use of the pronoun "you" sounds an alarm. If they had said: "a customer" or had listed the law in question, I would have believed them. But this thing smacks of deceit.

How can I find out if California does apply such a law?

FlyingRon

Yes they do forward the tax. Be assured of that. The problem is they are rebating you the money on the phone, but the taxman wants his full share.
It works that way with just about any coupon you redeem be it for 50cents off a frozen pizza.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">