• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veterinarian Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PortlandDMA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

We took a cat to the vet because it was clear it was not feeling well. The vet did a basic exam and blood work determining it had pendicitis (spelling?). Gave an estimate for clearing up the issue and said it would need to remain in the vets care for 2 or 3 days. 7 Days later & double the original estimate, without notice, they cleared the cat to go home. A down payment was put on the $1500 bill with the rest arranged on a payment plan. The cat died at home less than 32 hours later.

What recourse do we have, I feel that we shouldn't be held to the remaining balance of the bill.

Thanks for the help.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

We took a cat to the vet because it was clear it was not feeling well. The vet did a basic exam and blood work determining it had pendicitis (spelling?). Gave an estimate for clearing up the issue and said it would need to remain in the vets care for 2 or 3 days. 7 Days later & double the original estimate, without notice, they cleared the cat to go home. A down payment was put on the $1500 bill with the rest arranged on a payment plan. The cat died at home less than 32 hours later.

What recourse do we have, I feel that we shouldn't be held to the remaining balance of the bill.

Thanks for the help.
First of all, I'm sorry about your cat.

Now, let's get to your contract with the vet. Did the vet give you any guarantees about the cat's prognosis (rhetorical question here).

You owe the vet their money ~ that is the recourse you have. You don't pay the vet their money, they will weigh their options and then could send your debt out for collections.

The vet was nice enough to allow you to pay him a portion of the bill later. Don't make his act of kindness a one-time deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">