• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vexdintx

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

margarfact

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? tx
I lost my job and went from $45,000 to $23,000 a year, but the attorney general in tx will not lower my child support. Am paying $630/mo for one child. what can I do?

Gracie3787

margarfact said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? tx
I lost my job and went from $45,000 to $23,000 a year, but the attorney general in tx will not lower my child support. Am paying $630/mo for one child. what can I do?

If your job loss and income decrease was involuntary (Co. went out of business, lay off, etc.) you can file for a modification of CS with the court- not the Attorney General's office. (I am assuming that the AG's office is the CS enforcement agency in Tx.)

Get to court...

Gracie is correct...the courthouse, not the AG's office, is the most efficient route in TX to have your decrease in income addressed.

You can submit the appropriate paperwork to the court yourself or have a paralegal draft for next to nothing.

A voluntary decrease in income (quiting a higher paying job in order to go to work at Sonic) will more than likely be viewed unfavorably by the court. However, the court also understands temporary/extended involuntary loss of income. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">