• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

viewing of presidential speech in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberlywrites

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
Well here's one for ya.
The school sent home slips explaining the students (elementary) would have the opportunity to watch Barack Obama on television as he speaks about education Sept. 8. If you don't want your child to watch, you sign and return the slip. If you want him or her to watch, don't do anything, and they'll get to watch.
I say let them watch.
Ex says don't let them watch.
My argument is this is the PRESIDENT speaking about a relevant topic, whether you're an Obama supporter or not.
Also, I don't want the kids feeling weird about having to say why they're not going to watch it, as the other kids traipse in to do so.
I don't know what the school is planning to do with the kids who won't be watching.
We have joint legal and 50-50 physical. Kids are on dad's schedule next week. Can he keep them home from school that day just so they won't have to watch the speech? Cuz I don't agree.

JacobJoel

CDs

They are going to have the speech on CDs.

If he keeps them home (his watch, his rules) don't sweat it. Get the CD and watch it with them.

Popcorn, soda, conversation with your kids.

cool beans.

CJane

Here's how Ex and I do things like this... whatever permission slip comes home that covers the other parent's time is for THAT parent - regardless of the activity or how one of us feels about it. THAT day is THAT parent's. End of story.

So, if it were OUR family, and the speech fell on Ex's day and he wanted the kids to abstain, HE would make that decision regardless of my feelings on the subject. If it were MY day, I would make the decision regardless of HIS feelings on said subject.

Easy peasy.

It'll be infinitely you-tub-able AND posted on the official white house website.

txmom512

Most of the school districts in our area are not watching it. They are leaving it up to the parents whether they want to let their kids watch it later - they are not watching it live...

kimberlywrites

They are going to have the speech on CDs.

If he keeps them home (his watch, his rules) don't sweat it. Get the CD and watch it with them.

Popcorn, soda, conversation with your kids.

cool beans.
JJ, only one other person has ever said that phrase to me before. Is your name really Todd, and do you actually live in Texas, and do you happen to be an editor? ;)
All of you are right on this. It's the ex's week, he can handle it how he wants. I think he's just mad cuz he/we can't vote yet!:D Dang citizenship rules.

profmum

Here's how Ex and I do things like this... whatever permission slip comes home that covers the other parent's time is for THAT parent - regardless of the activity or how one of us feels about it. THAT day is THAT parent's. End of story.

agreed and cosgined

3junebugs

am i missing something? why would the school need to seek permission of the parents to watch the president speak? I wish the school would ask my permission on whether I want my kid watching sponge bob or not!! :cool:

kimberlywrites

I don't know, bug, but other school districts in the area are doing it too. Maybe it's a Texas "thang," being the home state of Dubya and all that.

mommyof4

I don't know, bug, but other school districts in the area are doing it too. Maybe it's a Texas "thang," being the home state of Dubya and all that.
Nope, not just a TX thang. I know alot of school districts are doing this and the decision to show the speech is being left up to the schools.

The reasoning behind this change (because until just the past couple of days, there was no choice) is because so many people were outraged at the assignments that were to go along with this and the original topics of the speech.

I will be keeping my kids home. That's MY personal decision based on some of the assignments that were to be issued (which have reportedly been changed, but you never know). I really don't need my kids writing a letter to themselves describing how she can help the president. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not my child's responsibility to work for the president (or any other elected official). It's the president's and every other elected official to work for the American people. ;)

George H. Bush gave a speech to schools in 1991 (which I thought was wrong, too). People were in as big of an uproar then as many of us are now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's mine.:)

txmom512

Oh geez! Have you seen the Super CREEPY video that was shown to students in Utah??? The one w/ stars telling how they will "serve Obama" and "serve the President" - it sounds like a brainwashing thing, I swear! It literally makes your skin crawl!!

Hisbabygirl77

Yes they were actually asked to repeat after them. I swear to serve president obama. Im sorry my child will not swear to serve no man. They can swear to serve their country. They can swear to serve their God. But they will not swear to serve a man.

Hisbabygirl77

My childrens school is scheduled to watch in sept 8th. After a huge backlash portions of the speach have been removed for future showings. Either way I am one of those parents whose children will not be viewing this speech.

kimberlywrites

This is interesting. My daughter (age 10, fifth-grade) just told me that most of the kids in her class will NOT be watching. So I guess my ex is somewhat right in his argument. He says what some of you are, that there are rumors the pres will be asking the students to serve him. I see it like mswarren does, as historical and significant, no matter who the prez is.
I told the ex that since it's on his time, it's his call. It initiated an interesting and lively discussion, but no bad feelings on either side. GASP - we're CO-PARENTING! :D

Last edited:

jbowman

He says what some of you are, that there are rumors the pres will be asking the students to serve him. :D
I read about this today in an article. Apparently, a badly worded part of the speech was asking the kids to write a letter on ""what they can do to help the president." This is what people are upset about. I guess writing a letter like that could potentially brainwash young children into become a unthinking follower of our president. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Personally I don't agree with Obama but its a part of history and I would let the kids watch it.

However if kids are on the parent's time that doesn't want them to watch it well then that's their choice.
I agree...a presidential speech is a historical event that the kids get to see in real time. I don't understand at all why parents would object to their children hearing a speach about education. About some other topics maybe, but not about education.

I agree that if there was some kind of creepy propoganda video that parents should object to that...but a speech? Again, its history in the making.

When I was a child we didn't have the option of seeing presidential speeches in the classroom for current events, but we did see movie reels of past presidents making significant speeches, and we read and discussed speeches made by current presidents (yes, back then the whole speech got published in the newspaper, not just "sound bites").

Our children need to understand our political process...the younger the better. They need to understand the issues and the process of resolving those issues, so that when they turn 18 and can vote, they are prepared to be educated voters.

I never understood how badly I had neglected my daughter's education than in the last election. She believed every politcal ad she saw, no matter how "out there"...she had no basis to make any judgements because she had no clue how anything worked.

I didn't vote for Obama because I didn't think that he addressed what I thought needed to be addressed, in the right way, and because I thought his tour of the world prior to the election was both arrogant and toadying. The world wasn't electing a president, WE were.

However, I also thought that both the US and the world had unfair expectations of what he could accomplish once he was elected..and I was proven right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">