• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation before paternity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WA

I have a question for my daughter's friend. In May he had a baby. He and the mother are not together. He has not had a paternity test, but is going to get one. Right after the baby was born he contacted child support services to get their help with testing and setting up support. Before he could get all their paper work filled out, he got a letter from CS informing him the ex had opened a case. The letter asked him to call CS services. When he called they told him he now has to wait to be served. He is going to call back Monday to ask if he can just accept service. He is trying to move things along, since it is now going on two months and he wants to see his child.

The baby's mom is refusing to allow that, though she is playing games. She has set up for different visitations and then not shown or cancels at the last minute. The latest was yesterday, she called asked him if she could bring baby over for him to watch, then never showed. He realizes he has no legal rights at this point. My question is can he, without paternity being established yet, ask for a temporary parenting plan with baby's mom supervising a few visits? He just wants to see the baby any way he can.

He paid all of her out of pocket medical expenses, he has bent over backwards to be nice to mom and she just seems to want to tease and torment. I realize none of this matters legally, but just wanted to give the flavor for what is going on here. He is not one of those jerks trying to avoid his responsibility and giving mom a hard time. It's quite the opposite.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a question for my daughter's friend. In May he had a baby. He and the mother are not together. He has not had a paternity test, but is going to get one. Right after the baby was born he contacted child support services to get their help with testing and setting up support. Before he could get all their paper work filled out, he got a letter from CS informing him the ex had opened a case. The letter asked him to call CS services. When he called they told him he now has to wait to be served. He is going to call back Monday to ask if he can just accept service. He is trying to move things along, since it is now going on two months and he wants to see his child.

The baby's mom is refusing to allow that, though she is playing games. She has set up for different visitations and then not shown or cancels at the last minute. The latest was yesterday, she called asked him if she could bring baby over for him to watch, then never showed. He realizes he has no legal rights at this point. My question is can he, without paternity being established yet, ask for a temporary parenting plan with baby's mom supervising a few visits? He just wants to see the baby any way he can.

He paid all of her out of pocket medical expenses, he has bent over backwards to be nice to mom and she just seems to want to tease and torment. I realize none of this matters legally, but just wanted to give the flavor for what is going on here. He is not one of those jerks trying to avoid his responsibility and giving mom a hard time. It's quite the opposite.
He has no standing to request anything regarding visitation until paternity is established.

CSO286

No, he didn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">