• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation with childs dad vs. his parents!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CO

Recently, my ex moved away from Colorado to Florida. His daughter and I still live in Colorado. We went to court to re-arrange the visitation schedule. For the summer he was given 3 weeks, but he wanted the entire summer.

My ex's parents are trying to make additional summer plans for my daughter to come visit them for another week (a 4th week) where they live and my ex will probably be there also.

It seems to me that this trip to her grandparents should be within his alotted 3 week time with my daughter. I spent time and money in court fighting for my half of the summer with my daughter so we could make plans of our own for trips etc...

My ex and his new wife are currently living in a trailer pulled behind a truck with no place to call home. He is very irresponsible, doesn't work and doesn't pay child support. These are few of the many reasons why visitation went my way and not his.

I was hoping that his laxadasical attitude torwards his daughter would eventually affect his family and their time with my daughter. Therefore, they might to put pressure on him to get his act together to make things better for everyone involved.

I want my daughter to see her grandparents and I realize that they could potentially get some rights through court, but I also want them to start suffering some of the consequences of their irresponsible son!

What to do?!?!

LdiJ

Britlandco said:
What is the name of your state? CO

Recently, my ex moved away from Colorado to Florida. His daughter and I still live in Colorado. We went to court to re-arrange the visitation schedule. For the summer he was given 3 weeks, but he wanted the entire summer.

My ex's parents are trying to make additional summer plans for my daughter to come visit them for another week (a 4th week) where they live and my ex will probably be there also.

It seems to me that this trip to her grandparents should be within his alotted 3 week time with my daughter. I spent time and money in court fighting for my half of the summer with my daughter so we could make plans of our own for trips etc...

My ex and his new wife are currently living in a trailer pulled behind a truck with no place to call home. He is very irresponsible, doesn't work and doesn't pay child support. These are few of the many reasons why visitation went my way and not his.

I was hoping that his laxadasical attitude torwards his daughter would eventually affect his family and their time with my daughter. Therefore, they might to put pressure on him to get his act together to make things better for everyone involved.

I want my daughter to see her grandparents and I realize that they could potentially get some rights through court, but I also want them to start suffering some of the consequences of their irresponsible son!

What to do?!?!
You have no obligation to provide the grandparents any additional time with the child. Extended family is normally expected to visit during their child's time. Since their son has visitation rights its REALLY unlikely that they could win if they attempted to file for visitation rights of their own.

It would also be in your child's best interest if a portion of dad's three weeks was spent at his parent's instead of your daughter living out of a trailor pulled behind a truck.

So tell the GPs that they need to visit during dad's time...and leave it at that...but leave the door open for them to visit in your home at other times.

Grandparent rights

That is interesting. I would think that 3 weeks is enough time for my daughter to visit with her dad and then get her to his parents house as well. I fought hard for my half the summer...seems like she would go visit him and then come home for a week and leave again to go to his parents.

I am certainly interested in any grandparent visitation rights information anyone might have!

Note: I understand I have no legal obligation to send her to their house right now. I am trying to make the best decision before writing them (paternal grandparents) back to avoid further complicating the issue with a possible grandparent right lawsuit!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">