• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-4 and missing paystub

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mi
My daughter started working for a resturant as a waitress. this is a new resturant but the owners own another one that has been established for a while. she received her first pay and it was cash in a evelope. She gets her credit card tips and regular tips every night so this was per pay. She asked one of the girs and she said that is how they get paid. the amount was on the evelope along with hrs worked with no deductions. She hates to make a fuss since it took her a long time to find a job and she really likes it. I can see this time next year it is going to be a nightmare doin her taxes. I don know how they can get away with it, what about state and federal and SS. Any other resturant she was worked they took out so much (they make that big $2.60 per hr, she has been making about $8 to $10 per hr with her tips))she never got a check, but at least she got a paystub and W-2 from them.

pattytx

It is not illegal, per se, to pay in cash.

In Michigan, the employer must provide some type of statement that includes hours worked, gross wages, itemized deductions, etc. You daughter can file a complaint for failure to provide the required information with the state Dept. of Labor.

Are you also saying she has not received a W-2 form (not a W-4)? Has she asked the employer? What do they say?

she just started 3 weeks ago. she was going to ask one of the girls who had started work last october how she filed her taxes. they might just give something at the end of the year, but i believe they are required to give a stub every payday noting how much they took out. Whe you start work you are required to file a w-4 listing your exemptions or if you want extra taken out. she didnt get a receipt for the 60 dollars they took out for uniforms. on the other hand she doenst want to get fired over this either, being right doesnt pay the bills if your not working.

pattytx

I've been in payroll for nearly 30 years. I know what is required. As I already said once, a statement is required; it could be on the $20 bill in the cash envelope for all the state cares. If she files a complaint with the state DOL and she is fired for doing so, then we have a wrongful termination situation under the law. Or, she can find another position and file the complaint after she quits. Or, she can say nothing and do nothing and let the employer continue to do the same thing pay day after pay day, year after year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">