• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-8BEN - 1099-INT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

I need to issue a 1099-INT to a foreign person. I do have a W-8BEN from her.

I understand that I do not have to withhold anything.

The web-based service I am trying to use insists that she needs a TIN.

Is that correct?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I need to issue a 1099-INT to a foreign person. I do have a W-8BEN from her.

I understand that I do not have to withhold anything.

The web-based service I am trying to use insists that she needs a TIN.

Is that correct?
Are you sure you need a Form 1099-INT? Generally when you are making payments to a non-resident alien individual you report that on Form 1042-S, not form 1099-INT. Without knowing the details of why you are paying this person I cannot tell you for sure which form you need. The 1042-S instructions tell you then the TIN of the person you paid must be included on the return.

STEPHAN

We are paying interest on a loan we got from a German citizen. She has no US TIN.

We have a W-8BEN from her so we are not withholding anything.

FlyingRon

You don't understand. A 1099-INT is for US resident. The 1042-S is used whether or not it is taxable (or whether you withhold anything) when the recipient is a foreign resident.

So as to the "which form" question you didn't ask, the question is if this German is residing in the US or in Germany?

The 1042-S says "if the any" for the US TIN.

STEPHAN

Thanks! I was not aware that a 1099-INT is for US residents only.

We have a loan from a German citizen residing in Germany. I had them sign a W-8BEN assuming that I would not have to withhold anything. We paid about $3500 in interest.

I just wanted to make sure I report this correctly.

STEPHAN

So, just to not make any mistake:

I paid interest to a non-resident alien in Germany. I have a form W-8BEN, so I did not withhold anything.

The person does not have a TIN.

I will report the payment on a 1042-S.

Doe this sound correct?

LdiJ

So, just to not make any mistake:

I paid interest to a non-resident alien in Germany. I have a form W-8BEN, so I did not withhold anything.

The person does not have a TIN.

I will report the payment on a 1042-S.

Doe this sound correct?
It does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">