• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waitress wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michigan

my daughter works as a waitress in michigan. she can make up to 15 dollars per hr in the summer but winter is slow and she is working 3 days a week. her employer pays her $3.00 per hr which is generous. but 2 out of 3 days she averages only $1.40 per hr in tips, the other day she averages 3.00 per hr in tips. i understand her employer is required to make up the difference to min. wage. how is this figured? on a daily(per shift) basis or weekly wage using her hrs (about 18 hrs per week)
thanks

pattytx

In total for the pay period. Let's say she is paid weekly and worked 20 hours and she claimed $20 in tips. Her sub-minimum wage would be $50. Minimum wage in Michigan is $5.15 per hour (unless it has changed recently; I could not find anything on their website that states a higher rate). She must gross at least $103. So $103 less $50 less $20 is $33, so $33 is the amount the employer must make up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">