• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waive right to statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gobiscuit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I have a debt collector trying to get a judgement for a credit card debt incurred in 2000. My cardholder agreement from 1999 states that I would waive my right to any applicable statute of limitations. The credit card company charged off the debt on June 27, 2001. The original debt was incurred 11/28/2000
Do I have a leg to stand on with the statute of limitations?, (Mn statute 541.05 which states 6 yrs)

gobiscuit

A court would find their 'waiver' of a state right to be unconscionable.

Where do I find that it is a "state right"?

JETX

Where do I find that it is a "state right"?
Minnesota Statutes:
541.05 VARIOUS CASES, SIX YEARS.
Subdivision 1.Six-year limitation.
Except where the Uniform Commercial Code otherwise prescribes, the following actions shall be commenced within six years:
(1) upon a contract or other obligation, express or implied, as to which no other limitation is expressly prescribed;

gobiscuit

state right

a legal advisor told me to prepare to lose as well as win. If the original debt was $422.00, and the credit card company charged off $964.00, which is the starting point to negotiate? (they are looking for a total judgment of $2344.00)
Also, when does the statute of limitations start? The debt was incurred in 11/28/2000, but charged off in 6/27/2001. They filed the claim 3/30/2007

Last edited:

JETX

a legal advisor told me to prepare to lose as well as win. If the original debt was $422.00, and the credit card company charged off $964.00, which is the starting point to negotiate? (they are looking for a total judgment of $2344.00)
Plus accrued interest (to today) plus attorney fees plus court fees. Start with the number they have... and ask them to validate it.

Also, when does the statute of limitations start? The debt was incurred in 11/28/2000, but charged off in 6/27/2001. They filed the claim 3/30/2007
Of course, their claim is NOT accurate. The SOL 'clock' starts on the date of the BREACH (failure to pay on date due).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">