• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to cancel a construction contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suecheung

I signed a contract with a contractor to build a garage in my property. Building permit has been obtained and construction will commence in September. However, I discovered that the contractor cheated me from day one, so I want to cancel the contract and hire someone else. There is no provision on cancellation on the contract. Can the contractor sue me or file a mechanic lien on my property?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

HomeGuru

I signed a contract with a contractor to build a garage in my property. Building permit has been obtained and construction will commence in September. However, I discovered that the contractor cheated me from day one, so I want to cancel the contract and hire someone else. There is no provision on cancellation on the contract. Can the contractor sue me or file a mechanic lien on my property?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
**A: he can sue you but since he did not start the work yet or expended any monies, he has no claim to a lien.

suecheung

Why I think the contractor cheated?

To make a long story short…In Dec ‘08, I hired him to build a two-story garage in place of the old one. Initially, I paid him $1,000 for retainer’s fee, $4,500 for the architectural plan. When his architect completed the plan, I paid him $600 to submit for a plan check. After the plan check, he said the plan checker required a soil report, but he couldn't find a soil engineer. He suggested to build them side-by-side (instead of two-story), so I would not need a soil report. I didn’t like the idea because it would take up a portion of my lawn, and settle for a smaller garage and playhouse…eventually I agreed. The contractor drawn the new plan himself and didn’t charge me. I paid for the plan check and the building permit. After that, I signed the contract with him.

Last week, I called his architect and found out that the contractor paid him only $2,500. Also the architect has a soil engineer available. The contractor lied about not finding a soil engineer and tricked me into building something that I don’t want. I suspect the contractor is not capable of building a two-story structure.

HomeGuru

Why I think the contractor cheated?

To make a long story short…In Dec ‘08, I hired him to build a two-story garage in place of the old one. Initially, I paid him $1,000 for retainer’s fee, $4,500 for the architectural plan. When his architect completed the plan, I paid him $600 to submit for a plan check. After the plan check, he said the plan checker required a soil report, but he couldn't find a soil engineer. He suggested to build them side-by-side (instead of two-story), so I would not need a soil report. I didn’t like the idea because it would take up a portion of my lawn, and settle for a smaller garage and playhouse…eventually I agreed. The contractor drawn the new plan himself and didn’t charge me. I paid for the plan check and the building permit. After that, I signed the contract with him.

Last week, I called his architect and found out that the contractor paid him only $2,500. Also the architect has a soil engineer available. The contractor lied about not finding a soil engineer and tricked me into building something that I don’t want. I suspect the contractor is not capable of building a two-story structure.
**A: file a compliant with the contractor's license board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">