• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for FTA and FTP, along with $860 of court fines on dropped charges...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Screwed?

Here's a best-case scenario: Turn yourself in to pay for the fines by serving time, and you'll temporarily have a place to stay - with 3 hots and a cot.
What is your experience with the law? The issue with jail is I'm a NP with an equality tattoo which means I'm looking at x amount of days of getting my ass beat by every race in there. How long would I have to be in with my $860 fine?

Screwed?

No chance

Is there no chance whatsoever that the DMV was given that hold in error? Because I was told that the DA did not proceed with the charges which is why there was no trial date in the system... Yet I'm still stuck with a fine? Isn't that kind of illegal for the county to drop charges before the trial and re-instate them after with a failure to appear, added fines and no ability to argue the charges in front of the judge?

Screwed?

Payment plan?

Is there absolutely no possibility that the court will set up a payment plan in the event that the fines are found to be correct? Do you have to pay a minimum up front typically, and how low can you make your payments typically? I can donate plasma and make 50 dollars a week... I also know that the jails in San Diego are so crowded that they've began letting drug offenders go early and in some cases people with minor violent crimes associated with fighting, even DUI's. I have trouble thinking they'll want to put me away for putting my cigarette out in a puddle, maybe just a night, but I can't see a multiple day stay forcing them to spend the money and time to put me in general...

davew128

What happened when you searched the San Diego county court system website for a criminal case in your name? Or called the courthouse in Kearny Mesa where it would have been filed to check on it? :rolleyes:

Instead you troll about here arguing with people....good job.

CdwJava

Is there no chance whatsoever that the DMV was given that hold in error?
Anything is possible, but if they entered the hold it was because they received a transcript from the court indicating the FTA.

Because I was told that the DA did not proceed with the charges which is why there was no trial date in the system.
The DA is not actively involved in most infractions in CA. As for why there was no record in the computer system I can't say. Did you appear at the date and time indicated on the citation? If you did, did you appear at the court date issued by the court at that arraignment?

Did your license have an address on it? If so, was it current at the time of all these changes? If you failed to notify the DMV of any changes in your address, you clearly would not have gotten any mailed notice of new court dates or changes.

Screwed?

Sure did

What happened when you searched the San Diego county court system website for a criminal case in your name? Or called the courthouse in Kearny Mesa where it would have been filed to check on it? :rolleyes:

Instead you troll about here arguing with people....good job.
Yeah I called a couple times a few months ago but not yet since this interaction at the DMV because the phone lines were already closed. Checked online today and there's still nothing.

Screwed?

Anything is possible, but if they entered the hold it was because they received a transcript from the court indicating the FTA.

The DA is not actively involved in most infractions in CA. As for why there was no record in the computer system I can't say. Did you appear at the date and time indicated on the citation? If you did, did you appear at the court date issued by the court at that arraignment?

Did your license have an address on it? If so, was it current at the time of all these changes? If you failed to notify the DMV of any changes in your address, you clearly would not have gotten any mailed notice of new court dates or changes.
I went to the first date and plead not guilty and requested a trial, when I called to verify my trial, there was nothing in the computer and the lady at the court told me that meant the charges had been dropped because there was no trial date.

CdwJava

I went to the first date and plead not guilty and requested a trial, when I called to verify my trial, there was nothing in the computer and the lady at the court told me that meant the charges had been dropped because there was no trial date.
When you requested a trial, they did not ASSIGN you a trial date at that time???? Or, did they give you a date, but you kept calling to try and confirm it?

Unfortunately, you are in a tough spot. If you had the money, you could hire an attorney to challenge this. Sadly, you don't. So, you will simply have to live with the hold on your license and the possibility that a local county warrant exists for your arrest. If you get arrested, and if you are charged with a misdemeanor for the FTA, then you might have the opportunity for court appointed counsel to help you out of this mess.

Screwed?

When you requested a trial, they did not ASSIGN you a trial date at that time???? Or, did they give you a date, but you kept calling to try and confirm it?

Unfortunately, you are in a tough spot. If you had the money, you could hire an attorney to challenge this. Sadly, you don't. So, you will simply have to live with the hold on your license and the possibility that a local county warrant exists for your arrest. If you get arrested, and if you are charged with a misdemeanor for the FTA, then you might have the opportunity for court appointed counsel to help you out of this mess.
Yeah, I called and they told me there was no trial date and that the charges must have been dropped, after that I called to see if I had a warrant and I didn't.

NP is an abbreviation for Non-Politic meaning I'm not able to join a race as designated in most jails.
Sounds like you are pretty much a wimp and will be bf'ed within a week in jail.

I think you are panicking unnecessarily. You have some minor violation which flags you at the the DMV. Just go about with your daily business and stay out of additional trouble. Once you save $200 get your driver's license reinstated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">