• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was Rear-Ended--He Has No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hit From Behind

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was rear-ended this past weekend coming to a stop at a light. Accident was fault of other driver that hit me, police took report and he has no insurance. I ended up going to ER (3 hours) for neck pain, although it has gotten better. Had to file claim with my insurance to repair damages (so far $5,000 and one month in shop).

Supposedly, my uninsured motorist coverage will cover medical bills (minimal at this point, although I've had a headache since this all happened--go figure!) I've been told I have to pay the $500 deductible for damage repair and that my insurance company will go after the driver to try to recoup it, and repay to me.

Also, I had no rental coverage (of course) so now I'm without a car for a month or more unless I want to rent one. So far my boyfriend & I are trying to make do with one car, but it's wreaking havock on work/schedules.

My questions: Do I really have to pay the deductible and what about the "pain and suffering" clause on the uninsured motorist coverage I have (and paid for)--is that only for "physical" injuries? How about emotional (i.e., stress???????) all because someone can afford to drive an expensive sports car but can't afford the insurance to go with it!

Do I have any recourse against the person that hit me, or my insurance company, for these kinds of expenses?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">