• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water in ditch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tczjr5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois i keep my basment dry pumping water into the the ditch the nieghbor has bilt a fw dams in the ditch. now he has dug a trench along the property line and is deverting the water from the ditch. can the nieghbor dam and devert the ditch??????

justalayman

whose ditch is it? is it on the state/county/city ROW for the road and they maintain it?

can you legally discharge this water into the ditch?

NC Aggie

Well as long as your neighbor is performing work within the boundaries of his property and the diversion of runoff doesn't adversely affect adjacent properties, then it would be okay. If the neighbor is performing any work that is adversely affecting you, then you may consider contacting your local engineering department.

justalayman, discharges from crawlspaces or sumps are generally considered accepted discharges into storm drainage systems and natural water courses.

justalayman

E=NC Aggie;2805429]Well as long as your neighbor is performing work within the boundaries of his property and the diversion of runoff doesn't adversely affect adjacent properties, then it would be okay. If the neighbor is performing any work that is adversely affecting you, then you may consider contacting your local engineering departmen
if this is maintained by the minicipality, and is on the road ROW, a person cannot generally alter the flow of water within the ditch

justalayman, discharges from crawlspaces or sumps are generally considered accepted discharges into storm drainage systems and natural water courses.
not in any area around me. Too much chance of contamination.

NC Aggie

if this is maintained by the minicipality, and is on the road ROW, a person cannot generally alter the flow of water within the ditch

not in any area around me. Too much chance of contamination.
Yeah, if he did any excavation within the right of way, that's an issue.

As far as draining crawlspace into water courses, I imagine there are probably some places where this might be considered an illicit discharge. I know in NC and many of the states in the southeast, NPDES regulations and state agencies responsible for managing water quality consider anything other than rainfall being discharged into water courses and drainage systems an illicit discharge but they allow water line flushing, crawlspace & foundation drains, roof drains, equipment condensation, and a couple of other exceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">