• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird Question: Can CS ever "come back"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Husband & his ex: Divorced in 1987, Michigan.
CS decree read: Child Support paid "til age 18 or graduates from high school whichever is later".
CS stopped: August 23, 2001, stepson turned 18

Step-son is now in college. The only time Stepson calls his dad, and bothers with his dad/my husband, is when he wants "help" aka "money".

I believe it would be true to say that we are not obligated in any fashion to pay or even help pay for college for my step-son, correct? The ex-wife could not in any way, shape or form, try and go back to get anything "amended" correct?

Our simple dilemma is the fact that no matter how much my husband has tried to reach out through the years to his son, birthdays, Xmas, extra $$ whenever we could sneak it past the ex-wife - even now at age 21, my step-son doesn't take the initiative and work on a relationship with his father. No phone calls (except for $$), no cards, (FD, Xmas examples) - and he wouldn't come out for Xmas this year, even though we offered to pay the expenses, and he would see his step-brothers for the first time since 1997!! Stepson's "excuse" was "I don't want to make my mother angry". (geeze, he's 21, he has spent ONLY 3 Christmas's with his dad in 21 years)

Hence, we really don't want to even help contribute to his college - and we are not financially able to do so for another 12 months. We have pointed him to student loans, college financial aid/scholarship websites (fastweb.com for example), and given him ideas on how to get financial help. Both his dad and I worked and paid our own ways through college. Additionally, I have 3 sons, the 2 oldest are working & going to college, the youngest/a junior in HS will most likely have a full academic (one of top 25 kids in his class) scholarship. I tell my kids the same thing... financially, no, I won't help them, simply because we just cannot afford to do it.

Thank you for your time.

KH

BelizeBreeze

The next time Junior calls tell him "SURE, we'd love to help. Come on over."

When he arrives, pour a cup of coffee, sit down at the kitchen table and open up the latest Sunday edition of the Want Ads and help his worthless ass look for a job.

VeronicaGia

In MI, CS ends when the child turns 18 and has graduated but no longer than age 19 1/2 if the child has not graduated high school unless the court deems the child physically or mentally handicapped to the point where the child will not ever become self-sufficient.

Tell the kid to go pound sand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">