• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my legal options for returning a vehicle that I bought?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m411b

and I still know what your claim would be and what you would have to do to remedy the situation.
OK, so what do you want from me? Do you want an apology or something?
I'm sorry for offending you in whatever way I did it! However, if you look at your reply, it was pretty rude as well.

So, if that is not going to do, then please stop crapping up my thread!

m411b

You've registered 100's of cars. Perhaps you can give them some help? :rolleyes:
Yes I have! In Ohio however, and I have offered my assistance to them but they have turned me down telling me that there is nothing I can do..

Seeing as how there is nothing I can do. I decided I would make a visit to my local Consumer Affairs office. The lady from the CAO tried to contact the dealership and they are ignoring the CA lady as well. So this is just getting worse and worse!
I guess the next step is to contact the State of TN.

JakeB

there is implied condition in sale that the buyer will be able to have quiet enjoyment of the thing purchased. However when the seller has not transferred you the metal tags then seller has breached this condition because you are unable to use the car. The restriction in enjoyment of car is because of seller's fault. Therefore you may inform seller of breach of contract and can inform him that if he cannot give metal tags then he should take back the car and give your money back. After this you may file a suit.

Correct or Incorrect?
In my opinion, the gist of that is correct. When you purchased the car, it was implied that you would be given the necessary documentation to register the vehicle. If they can't register it within a reasonable time, or they don't give you the title within a reasonable time to register it yourself, then you could probably win a breach of contract lawsuit against them. If you can no longer use temp tags, then I'd say a reasonable time has passed.

m411b

In my opinion, the gist of that is correct. When you purchased the car, it was implied that you would be given the necessary documentation to register the vehicle. If they can't register it within a reasonable time, or they don't give you the title within a reasonable time to register it yourself, then you could probably win a breach of contract lawsuit against them. If you can no longer use temp tags, then I'd say a reasonable time has passed.
Thank you JakeB, I think a reasonable time has passed and been passed again here. We are at 68 days now and still no metals plates so the vehicle can be driven! They will not talk to me anymore and will not call me back after a message has been left over the matter by someone else. I think it is time to get an attorney.

justalayman

for gosh sakes. It is a simple breach of contract. You bought the car. They have failed to provide the required proof of title within a reasonable time (as well there might be a legally mandated time period, haven't looked). therefor, they have failed to perform under the terms of the contract.

If there is a legally stated period they must comply, you might be able to demand a rescission of the sale right now (I'll let you look for the applicable law)

If there isn't or you don't want to look, simply send a demand letter giving them a week to provide the required paperwork or issue a check for the money you have paid towards the car.

If they refuse to provide the needed paperwork and do not have a reasonable explanation and refuse to refund your money, you can either proceed to sue them or contact a lawyer who will start with sending them a letter.

m411b

for gosh sakes. It is a simple breach of contract. You bought the car. They have failed to provide the required proof of title within a reasonable time (as well there might be a legally mandated time period, haven't looked). therefor, they have failed to perform under the terms of the contract.

If there is a legally stated period they must comply, you might be able to demand a rescission of the sale right now (I'll let you look for the applicable law)

If there isn't or you don't want to look, simply send a demand letter giving them a week to provide the required paperwork or issue a check for the money you have paid towards the car.

If they refuse to provide the needed paperwork and do not have a reasonable explanation and refuse to refund your money, you can either proceed to sue them or contact a lawyer who will start with sending them a letter.
Thank you justalayman, I figured something of that sort but I wasn't sure. TBH, I think I have already given them a time frame to provide the required docs OR the metal plates and they failed to provide either of the two by the time I set for them.
I went to the CAO and spoke with the lady I talked to yesterday and she provided me with a list of attorneys that deal with these kinds of things specifically. I think I will just call one of them and setup a consultation to see what if anything the law has to offer. Meanwhile I will look over my contract again and see if there is anything about time frames for things to get done.

I will keep everyone updated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">