• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options with 17 year old bipolar daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needabreak1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My daughter has bipolar 1, is defiant, agressive, verbally abusive and does not listen to the rules in our home. She has not taken her meds in over 3 months, has not been to counseling in a month, missed so many days in her senior year that she will not receive credit to graduate, went to spend the holidays with her dad (who has same disorder), and has only stopped home twice since then for a change of clothes, her work papers, and a few dollars. She has been hospitalized twice and was placed in a day school program for 10th and 11th grade. She was allowed to come back to her district high school for senior year because she did ok at day school (but not at home). She was recently in an abusive relationship (and may still be) where the girl totally controlled and hit her. She has had dillusions and hallucinations, and goes from extreme mania to depression. We all walk on eggshells when she's here, and feel that there we are at the end of our rope with what we can do for her. She's been on PINS diversion for over 2 years, involved with SPOA, counseling and prescribed meds for several years. I have 2 other children who are being affected negatively because of her behavior. She frequently makes threats that she will call the police & CPS on us, even though we haven't done anything to warrant this. Her PINS diversion counselor finally called back after a call to his supervisor & wants to meet with her next week. What can be done legally here with regard to school & meds? If nothing can be done, are we able to ask her to move out when she is 18 (maybe move in with dad, or a gov'mt program)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">