• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are our rights as tenants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mau99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My husband and I have rented an apartment for 6 years. We are now looking to buy a house out of state. For the

past 6 years the landlord would call 2 months before the lease was up and ask if we were planning on staying and

to tell us the rent was going up, and to sign a new lease. This year they did not, because a bank we applied to for a mortgage,

contacted them to verify the rent we reported. So they knew we were trying to buy a house. In the leases, they asked for 45

days notice, but then verbally asked if we could give them 60 days notice when we decided to leave.

We got a uhaul truck, just to put some things in storage; a neighbor must have called them, because they immediately (the

same day) called to tell us the rent was going up. My husband explained we were looking for a house, and so would

like to rent month to month. They said in that case, the rent would go up a lot more. My husband said that that

made no sense, and then they came back with the rent going up, and that we have to give them 3 months notice

when we leave, so they can show the apartment to potential tenants. Does anyone know our rights?

(When looking at the apartment before moving in, because of a nightmare experience with trains waking us up

all night in another town we had lived, I asked if there were trains, and said why I was asking, and the landlord said

that they softly blow the horn, so noise would not be a problem. After moving in, we discovered that the landlord

lied; the trains sometimes go by every hour, all night long, so I do not trust the landlord. Also the apartment was

built in 1984 and NOTHING has been updated. The windows were painted shut so that the wind wouldn't blow through, and

most everything was mickey moused, and the plumbing is falling apart, breaking down, the faucets in every bathroom leak;

the dishwasher leaks; the oven door fell off) and we pay $1600 a month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

justalayman

Also the apartment was

built in 1984 and NOTHING has been updated. The windows were painted shut so that the wind wouldn't blow through, and

most everything was mickey moused, and the plumbing is falling apart, breaking down, the faucets in every bathroom leak;

the dishwasher leaks; the oven door fell off)
don't even go there. That hasn't been a problem up to now. It isn't going to be your leverage to get out of anything.

Do you have a current lease in force? Does the last lease say anything about self renewal, continuation of terms, or notice if terminating?

Gail in Georgia

Attached is a good article discussing Landlord rights in your state (including month to month leases, known as a Tenancy at Will):

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/housing/tenant-and-landlord/tenant-rights.html

Gail

mau99

don't even go there. That hasn't been a problem up to now. It isn't going to be your leverage to get out of anything.

Do you have a current lease in force? Does the last lease say anything about self renewal, continuation of terms, or notice if terminating?

Thanks, Gail in Georgia;

justalayman, you haven't a clue, and you must be a landlord; there has been many problems, but obviously it's a waste of time dealing with you

FarmerJ

mau lots of people who post here have been both renters and landlords! you wrote >>In the leases, they asked for 45 days notice, Ok then thats what the LL and tenant should follow , since oral terms are worth the air they are written on. You wrote >>>We got a uhaul truck, just to put some things in storage; a neighbor must have called them, because they immediately (the

same day) called to tell us the rent was going up. My husband explained we were looking for a house, and so would

like to rent month to month. They said in that case, the rent would go up a lot more. My husband said that that

made no sense, and then they came back with the rent going up, and that we have to give them 3 months notice

when we leave, so they can show the apartment to potential tenants.<< So again what was it your lease said for notice ??????? you wrote >>In the leases, they asked for 45 days notice,< so did any part of your written lease say they could change any term of the lease such as amount of notice to vacate , new rules ? btw so what if a neighbor called them big deal, it doesnt matter. Next you wrote > . Does anyone know our rights? < yes your rights are also what the lease contract says beside your states laws. You wrote >>> I asked if there were trains, and said why I was asking, and the landlord said

that they softly blow the horn, so noise would not be a problem. After moving in, we discovered that the landlord

lied; the trains sometimes go by every hour, all night long, so I do not trust the landlord.<<< SO what it didnt occur to you to sit by the tracks or on the street one night and find out for your selfs , or literally to go a block away or so and watch for any neighbor say coming home from work and saying ` hi my name is___ we are looking at a home near by and i was wondering if you could tell me about how often the trains run at night ? Nothing stopped you from asking anyone near by or just parking some night and finding out for your self. NOW the last thing here your complaints about the repairs / condition of the house did you ever send a written on paper letter to the landlord (via certified mail or some method of delivery that gives you proof ) hey landlord theres windows here that wont open, the oven door is broke, the plumbing leaks fix it ! if you didnt complain about ANY of it with paper trail in the past just how do you expect to be able to prove that you didnt break the oven door your self or that it was broke and needed repairs ? give the amount of notice your written lease calls for in writing sent via certified mail or confirmed mail delivery and be happy elsewhere. this may not be what you wanted to hear but its the same basic answer the others had now smile and think bad words and have a good day :)

justalayman

Thanks, Gail in Georgia;

justalayman, you haven't a clue, and you must be a landlord; there has been many problems, but obviously it's a waste of time dealing with you
I haven't a clue? I asked you a couple questions that are critical in answering your questions. You are the one seeking info, not me. My living arrangements are just fine. Enjoy yours.

and enjoy the greatly increased rent for the time you are there.

Searchertwin

(When looking at the apartment before moving in, because of a nightmare experience with trains waking us up
all night in another town we had lived, I asked if there were trains, and said why I was asking, and the landlord said
that they softly blow the horn, so noise would not be a problem.
After moving in, we discovered that the landlord lied
;
Shame on him. What is this world coming to?

. Also the apartment was built in 1984 and NOTHING has been updated. The windows were painted shut so that the wind wouldn't blow through, and
most everything was mickey moused, and the plumbing is falling apart, breaking down, the faucets in every bathroom leak; the dishwasher leaks; the oven door fell off
As stated: don't even go there

and we pay $1600 a month.
REALLY? For a dump? Sucks don't it? And to think you lived there 6 years!
I bet your not tooting you horn softly right now.:D

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I haven't a clue? I asked you a couple questions that are critical in answering your questions. You are the one seeking info, not me. My living arrangements are just fine. Enjoy yours.

and enjoy the greatly increased rent for the time you are there.
**A: i will refrain from responding since I won't have a clue either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">