• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be deducted from child support so that I am not destitute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rustyknife

What makes you say that? Your child support scales with your income, so you should have more income with a $3/hour raise. If you do not, then your other deductions are higher. It's quite possible to change employers, move to a job with a higher pay level, and come home with less money if they charge more for health insurance, LTD/ STD insurance, etc.

Your child needs to be supported - and if you were the custodial parent your child would benefit from a pay increase as more money would be spent to support your child. Why should that be different when you as a non-custodial parent receives a pay increase?
I know my children deserve my support but You dont know all the facts. If I make more money, the system ups my support to my ex wife. She is so bitter and power trippy. Why I say I am screwed either way is because the truth. My kids just want stuff and dont know how to say thank you. Not something taught at a young age.

LdiJ

I know my children deserve my support but You dont know all the facts. If I make more money, the system ups my support to my ex wife. She is so bitter and power trippy. Why I say I am screwed either way is because the truth. My kids just want stuff and dont know how to say thank you. Not something taught at a young age.
Are you expecting your children to say thank you for you supporting them? If you were living with them would you expect them to say thank you for buying groceries, paying the bills, paying the rent, etc? Child support is to cover the children's needs, not their wants. Everyone covers their children's needs based on their income. It is sad that you consider supporting your children as being screwed. It is also sad that you see this as being about your ex rather than about taking care of your children.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Uuuuh... you're the one who sounds bitter. As for your kids... you're a parent - own your share of their upbringing.

p.s. We can only "judge" you by what you choose to share with us (especially in an opening post - add-ons are always suspect). It's a bit late to whine "you don't know all the facts." (I have a two and a half yo granddaughter - she'd tell you Nana ignores whining.)

The system is not upping your support to your ex-wife - the system is upping support for your *children*.

As far as teaching your children to be respectful - that is called parenting. Use all your available parenting to parent effectively. And earn your children's respect.

Eekamouse

You are being ridiculous. Your children should be supported by both of their parents. It's not just the mother's job. It's the father's job, too, to support the children he helped make. If you didn't want the responsibility that comes with having kids, you really should have worn a condom. Too late to complain now. The kids are here. Be someone they want to be like instead of showing them the kind of person they could wind up like.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If I make more money, the system ups my support to my ex wife.
Well, yes, that's how it works. It's a percentage of your pay, not the whole thing.

If your pay increases, mom can petition for an increase in child support.

If you pay decreases, you might be able to successfully petition for a downward modification. However, if you are obvious about your intentional pay decrease, this won't work. A voluntary decrease in pay is not grounds for a downward modification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">