• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do about tenant that had medical emergency and is now just gone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ldan

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My tenant was found unconscious and taken away by an ambulance about 3 weeks ago. In that time I have not heard anything from them or about them. I work from home and live right next door so I'm there a lot and so far I haven't seen any indication that someone has even been by her place. Her mail as well as packages have piled up. I have left voicemails and texted their phone number as well as sent emails to inquire about the situation. So far I haven't gotten any replies. It's been about a week since their rent was due. I haven't run into a situation like this before so I'm a little at a loss on what I'm supposed to do.

zddoodah

It's been about a week since their rent was due. . . . I'm a little at a loss on what I'm supposed to do.
Since the rent is past due, find a local landlord-tenant attorney and start the eviction process. You probably should exercise your right to enter the unit (as a landlord, you should be familiar with the process by which you give notice of intent to enter) to ensure there are no conditions in the unit that might result in expensive repairs.

Also, you might contact the local police department and explain what happened and see if they have any information. If the tenant was taken in an ambulance and hasn't returned after three weeks, it's possible that she's dead.

LdiJ

Did the tenant give you an emergency contact person/number? If so, you might try contacting that person as well. You could also contact the local hospitals and inquire if she is there. You may not get much more information from them, but you might be able to glean if she is alive or dead.

If she has passed, then you want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. If she is alive and she has been a good tenant, you might want to give her some grace period to become functional and pay her bills.

adjusterjack

Do a search for her on the county probate court website. If there is a file it will tell you the contact information for the rep of the estate.

Also do a google search for a possible obituary. An obituary could provide leads to family.

quincy

Do a search for her on the county probate court website. If there is a file it will tell you the contact information for the rep of the estate.

Also do a google search for a possible obituary. An obituary could provide leads to family.
It’s only been three weeks since the tenant was taken away by an ambulance. There is unlikely to be an obituary or a probate file at this time.

I agree with the advice offered by LdiJ.

adjusterjack

It’s only been three weeks since the tenant was taken away by an ambulance. There is unlikely to be an obituary or a probate file at this time.
Just as likely as unlikely. I can give you examples of likely. But the point is, it doesn't hurt to run a search and takes only a few minutes. Then run searches every day for a few minutes until something pops up.

quincy

Just as likely as unlikely. I can give you examples of likely. But the point is, it doesn't hurt to run a search and takes only a few minutes. Then run searches every day for a few minutes until something pops up.
True. It won’t hurt.

FarmerJ

Once before i did the following to learn if a group home clients mother was still alive because he had not heard from her in a long time . One of your county clerks will not be able to give you a copy of a death certificate but can with some information such as tenant age at least tell you if a death certificate had been filed. ( the client at the group home was relieved that she was still alive even though we did not know where she was)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">