• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Try to follow me on this one. We had a company, had an accountant. Gave him our tax documents to file our tax's. We owed him 800.00. We had owed him before. He put an extension on our tax returns and NEVER filed them, not personal or business. Tried to call, he would not return calls. Had attorney send a letter to him requesting return of documentation, he ignored letter. Went to office with police, they refused to hand over documents, have report of it. Sued him in court.
Got a letter from an attorney stating that he is now willing to return my documents and will forgo the 800.00 if I stop the law suit. Told his attorney that I was now in trouble with the IRS, had to recreate documents etc.. and was in trouble now. He stated he would send me my documents and I should sign a form releasing him from liability and stating I will not report him to the licensing board. he swears he sent the documents return receipt but they never arrived. As I never got them, I did not sign attorneys release form.
Now I get paper in the mail, the man wants his 800.00 but did not file our tax's and I could end up being the victim of identity theft if they fall into the wrong hands.
One more thing, I made friends with an x-employee of his who stated to me that he has done this to other people and has held their documents "hostage" for payment. Now what do I do? They want me to sign this release and he wont sue me for the 800.00 but there is no guarantee that these missing documents wont cause me trouble down the road.

ForFun

I'm actually quite confused, but it sounds like you're saying that unless you give him $800, you may become the victim of identity theft.

If that's the case, you should contact the police, as that is extortion.

is this better?

basically, the accountant held my documents hostage for 800.00. I agreed to drop my lawsuit against him for the trouble caused by him holding the papers in exchange for return of the papers and his forgetting about the 800.00. He never returned the papers. They have my ss#, hospital id#, etc on them. Noone now knows where they are. I am trying to protect myself against future problems if they fall into the wrong hands. better?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">