• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mabrown1994

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
For the past 6-8 months on the weekends my ex-husband has visitation with our son, I've been allowing my ex-husband to keep our son overnight on Sunday and drive him to school Monday morning... This Monday, I received a phone call from the school, my son was not in attendance. I called my ex-husband (no answer). I called my son's cell phone & my ex answered. He informed me that our son had a fever and was sick. We had a discussion about the importance of me having knowledge of this & also the importance of calling the school to report the absence. Tuesday & Wednesday school was closed due to hazardous weather conditions. I tried to call both my ex and my son, plus sent several text messages on both days (no answer/no reply). Today (Thursday) I received another phone call from the school, my son is not in attendance. I have called 3 times and sent one text message. I should also add that my ex recently moved (last weekend) I do not know the address, only that he is now living in Lake Sation, IN. What can I do? What should I do? [L[/LEFT]

doc2b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
For the past 6-8 months on the weekends my ex-husband has visitation with our son, I've been allowing my ex-husband to keep our son overnight on Sunday and drive him to school Monday morning... This Monday, I received a phone call from the school, my son was not in attendance. I called my ex-husband (no answer). I called my son's cell phone & my ex answered. He informed me that our son had a fever and was sick. We had a discussion about the importance of me having knowledge of this & also the importance of calling the school to report the absence. Tuesday & Wednesday school was closed due to hazardous weather conditions. I tried to call both my ex and my son, plus sent several text messages on both days (no answer/no reply). Today (Thursday) I received another phone call from the school, my son is not in attendance. I have called 3 times and sent one text message. I should also add that my ex recently moved (last weekend) I do not know the address, only that he is now living in Lake Sation, IN. What can I do? What should I do? [L[/LEFT]
Is this your ex's parenting time and he's just not calling you back, or has he not returned your son and you can't get ahold of him? Totally different situations...

mabrown1994

in accordance with our divorce, my ex has alternate weekend visitation... he has not returned my son and I have been unable to get into contact with him!

doc2b

in accordance with our divorce, my ex has alternate weekend visitation... he has not returned my son and I have been unable to get into contact with him!
Under the circumstances, I would call the local police where he lives and explain the situation. With hazardous conditions, no contact and him having the kids days after he was supposed to return them...well, that's alarming.

mabrown1994

I called the local police in the area he is living. I explained the situation. Gave them a time line regarding any and all or no contact. In the end, there is nothing they can do... My ex has been uncooperative in giving me his new address & without it, they can't even go talk to him!

LdiJ

I called the local police in the area he is living. I explained the situation. Gave them a time line regarding any and all or no contact. In the end, there is nothing they can do... My ex has been uncooperative in giving me his new address & without it, they can't even go talk to him!
Have you tried contacting any of your ex's family members to see if you can get an address from them? Your child has been missing for basically a week now, its time to start pulling out all of the stops. Impress upon his family how much trouble he can get into if he doesn't return the child to you promptly.

gr8rn

Just brainstorming here, but you said your son has a cellphone.. Perhaps the cellphone company can give you somewhat of a location. Not sure if this is doable or not but perhaps..

mabrown1994

my son was returned this morning and taken to school, FINALLY! My ex husband also coughed up his new address when I told him that I wasn't going to allow his weekend visitation anymore unless I had it. I informed him that he could take me back to court for contempt. He would also be in contempt for not providing the address to me.
I would love to take him back to court for various reasons, but do not want the courts to think I just have a score to settle. My ex has been a source of great distress in my life. When I filed for divorce I was so scared of my ex that I had to go into hiding with the help of a protection order. I didn't have the financial resources to battle it out in court. I never wanted him to have visitation in the first place. Although he wasn't physically abusive to our son while we were married, it is a definate possibility that at some point he could be under the right circumstances.
I know as a fact that he (my ex) body slammed his ex-girlfriends teenage son in her driveway last year because he spoke up in defense of his mother (also on record).
My ex is still abusing woman. I know this to be a fact. I know he abused me and have no doubt he is abusing others... Plus, in the county that I live you can look up court cases... He has a case today for domestic battery!
My ex is also driving on a suspended license as of 1/27. I know this really has nothing to do with me, but if he gets pulled over with our son in the car it could affect our son if my ex gets taken into custody!
I really don't know what to do any more! I don't even know if there is anything I can do from a legal stand point. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

LdiJ

my son was returned this morning and taken to school, FINALLY! My ex husband also coughed up his new address when I told him that I wasn't going to allow his weekend visitation anymore unless I had it. I informed him that he could take me back to court for contempt. He would also be in contempt for not providing the address to me.
I would love to take him back to court for various reasons, but do not want the courts to think I just have a score to settle. My ex has been a source of great distress in my life. When I filed for divorce I was so scared of my ex that I had to go into hiding with the help of a protection order. I didn't have the financial resources to battle it out in court. I never wanted him to have visitation in the first place. Although he wasn't physically abusive to our son while we were married, it is a definate possibility that at some point he could be under the right circumstances.
I know as a fact that he (my ex) body slammed his ex-girlfriends teenage son in her driveway last year because he spoke up in defense of his mother (also on record).
My ex is still abusing woman. I know this to be a fact. I know he abused me and have no doubt he is abusing others... Plus, in the county that I live you can look up court cases... He has a case today for domestic battery!
My ex is also driving on a suspended license as of 1/27. I know this really has nothing to do with me, but if he gets pulled over with our son in the car it could affect our son if my ex gets taken into custody!
I really don't know what to do any more! I don't even know if there is anything I can do from a legal stand point. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
He kept your son for over a week without allowing you any contact or knowledge as to where your son was.

I would be taking him to court and asking the judge to order that his visitation be supervised because he did that.

GinAA

He kept your son for over a week without allowing you any contact or knowledge as to where your son was.

I would be taking him to court and asking the judge to order that his visitation be supervised because he did that.
Exactly!

That would scare me to death! Almost bit my nails!!

chris's wife

wooow

my ex and i have never gone to cort i just let him take our two kids anytime he wants he usually takes them about 3 weekends a month...this has been going on for about two years and if he ever kept my kids for a week and didnt so much as call me so i could speak to my children he would have grounds for a restraining order...lol cuz i would all but kill him:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">