• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do you think of this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summerdawn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I did read the article, but I forgot where the father is with the kids-I think he may still be in California.

Severely disabled, is she still a mom?

Really basic summary of this is: the mother gave birth to triplets in 2006. The surgery went wrong and mother is extremely disabled, can't move or talk. Her family says she can blink to communicate, that she is able to read, and that she is cognizant. Father divorced mom after about a year and got custody of the kids. Mom hasn't seen them in over 2 and 1/2 years. Grandparents are fighting for mom to be able to see the kids, father says it would be traumatic to them and he is afraid they may experience guilt when they "realize their birth led to her condition". Father is asking for child support from mom's malpractice settlement. He doesn't want to let the children visit mom until they are old enough to decide for themselves whether or not to see her. There is a trial set for May 13th.

Those of you who have been around family law for a while, if you have time to read the article, what do you think?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I did read the article, but I forgot where the father is with the kids-I think he may still be in California.

Severely disabled, is she still a mom?

Really basic summary of this is: the mother gave birth to triplets in 2006. The surgery went wrong and mother is extremely disabled, can't move or talk. Her family says she can blink to communicate, that she is able to read, and that she is cognizant. Father divorced mom after about a year and got custody of the kids. Mom hasn't seen them in over 2 and 1/2 years. Grandparents are fighting for mom to be able to see the kids, father says it would be traumatic to them and he is afraid they may experience guilt when they "realize their birth led to her condition". Father is asking for child support from mom's malpractice settlement. He doesn't want to let the children visit mom until they are old enough to decide for themselves whether or not to see her. There is a trial set for May 13th.

Those of you who have been around family law for a while, if you have time to read the article, what do you think?
phew. i thought you ex was at it again**************:p

i hope mom does get visitation. it should be expained in such a way to the children that they know it was the doctor that made a mistake. it had nothing to do with their births.

wow...dad is really off his rocker. i understand about the child support. but given the circumstances, it's not income. least i don't think so. i wonder if mom is on disability. dad would be able to apply on behalf of the children.

milspecgirl

personally, I think dad is a POS. That is their mother and they need to know that she loves them and have a relationship with her. He should file for SSI or RSDI for them based on her disability.

summerdawn

Haha, I figured it would look like another thread full of nuttiness, but I didn't quite know how to title it...

Reading the article really broke my heart for mom. From what some of the people quoted in the article said, this may be a landmark type case for parents with severe disabilities. I really hope and pray mom gets to see her babies again.

It didn't say anything about disability income, it appears that she had a large settlement from a malpractice suit as a direct result of the birth related injuries. I wonder if that large amount that she won would affect her possibility of getting SSI?

ETA: I was wondering what everyone thought of it as in, do you think mom will get visits? Since mom is still alive do the grandparents have a chance at grandparent visitation, or is this even a state that allows that?

I do hope that they update with another article after the trial. I really hope they let mom start seeing her little ones again. You never know how something that special might even affect her recovery.

Last edited:

Isis1

Haha, I figured it would look like another thread full of nuttiness, but I didn't quite know how to title it...

Reading the article really broke my heart for mom. From what some of the people quoted in the article said, this may be a landmark type case for parents with severe disabilities. I really hope and pray mom gets to see her babies again.

It didn't say anything about disability income, it appears that she had a large settlement from a malpractice suit as a direct result of the birth related injuries. I wonder if that large amount that she won would affect her possibility of getting SSI?
i'm sure it will. almost like i'm sure it will also run out at some point. it would also depends on the settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">