• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly is the Law on TV Shows Like Dateline Secretly Filming & Broadcasting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

Would appreciate your help explaining this for me as I don't quite understand what exactly the law is on a US TV Show secretly filming activity inside your store and then showing it on TV without a release from the Store. Regardless if the video footage shows a crime being committed on the premises, is a TV show allowed to display this on TV without a release as it was filmed without the store owners permission and/or the people filming the video misrepresented or didn't identify themselves?

Second variance of the above question, let's say Dateline is accompanying Official State Undercover Investigators who again do not identify themselves. Can they still display this on TV without a release if its officially Dateline's property not the State?

If the answer is no to any of these questions why don't store owners sue the TV Networks more?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It's not a copyright issue. They own the copyright by having made the tape. Makes no difference if it was shot in a non-public place or if there were state-employees present in the action.

As for privacy issues, well, more leeway is given to those claiming to be NEWS than a general entertainment outlet might have. Second, if the store is open to the public, there's little expectation of privacy.

What makes you think people identifying themselves has any bearing on the situation?

People don't sue because they have no cause for action.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would appreciate your help explaining this for me as I don't quite understand what exactly the law is on a US TV Show secretly filming activity inside your store and then showing it on TV without a release from the Store. Regardless if the video footage shows a crime being committed on the premises, is a TV show allowed to display this on TV without a release as it was filmed without the store owners permission and/or the people filming the video misrepresented or didn't identify themselves?

Second variance of the above question, let's say Dateline is accompanying Official State Undercover Investigators who again do not identify themselves. Can they still display this on TV without a release if its officially Dateline's property not the State?

If the answer is no to any of these questions why don't store owners sue the TV Networks more?
The best answer to your hypotheticals is "It depends"

HiFi

"It depends" That was helpful.

As far as no release then you're saying I can film anyone and display them on TV or a movie without a release from them?

The Occultist

HiFi, we don't do hypotheticals (or homework) here. If you are either about to pursue legal action against somebody for similar reasons or if you are about to start filming people with the intent to broadcast, then you need to retain an attorney who can help make sur you've got everything in order.

Zigner

HiFi, we don't do hypotheticals (or homework) here. If you are either about to pursue legal action against somebody for similar reasons or if you are about to start filming people with the intent to broadcast, then you need to retain an attorney who can help make sur you've got everything in order.
You need to read the history on this OP - I suspect there is a cloud of smoke in the room right now ;)

Good Deal

what state are they filming in

because that's the state they must conform their conduct to.

Generally, anyone can film anything that members of the puiblic can see...thats why you dont see them insoide of establishments very often. Rememebr, they use P.I's licensed in the state they're in, so that P.I. can record anything they want for the most part.

Using recordings on nationally televised broadcasts is quite another thing. Usually they need written permission form all parties who's faces aren't blocvked out...and that they get by PAYING. You don't see all the stories they shoot.

Oh, and Jerry Springers' folks get people to ham it up while they're on stage...guess what...they get paid, too

HiFi

It's Not a Hypothetical Question Get Your Facts Right

Dateline did an expose on clerks stealing lottery tickets. They secretly filmed clerks stealing inside a store then came into the store to interview them afterwards. Neither the store/clerks would have signed releases.

Some of you people on this board have your heads up your Butts. It's not a hypothetical question to ask how shows like Dateline repeatedly film stuff without permission and then broadcast it without permission on Network TV. It's a practice and not a hypothetical.

Furthermore if you do not want what you lunkheads deem "Hypothetical Questions" posted then it should be stated on this Forums Official Rules. If its not in the Forums Officials rules then anything you say is BS. WTF are you to tell me what's not acceptable if its not against Official Written Policy.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Look brother, can the profane insults.

Go back and read my previous post. What makes you think that they need your permission to do what they did? As I stated before, there was no expectation of privacy here, Dateline is a news show, they don't need your permission to show that tape. It is, by the way, not a copyright issue. Dateline clearly has the copyright.

quincy

HiFi, the forum members generally do not answer hypothetical questions here, even though it is not written anywhere in the Terms of Service that we can't, because there are too many variables in a hypothetical. There are too many "what ifs" involved to provide a responsible legal answer to any hypothetical question. The answers to real questions from real situations, on the other hand, will have some natural legal limits due to the specific facts presented. All cases decided by a court are based on these real and specific facts that are particular to each case.

Therefore, Zigner's "it depends" answer to your hypothetical questions is the proper answer.

Given that "it depends" is the best answer to your questions regarding the news gathering conduct of shows like Dateline, I can add that there have been numerous lawsuits brought in the past against various news organizations over their "exposes" (and there are suits currently in the courts and, presumably, there will be similar suits filed in the future). These suits have been brought, and can be brought, based on the laws of trespass, intrusion into seclusion, publication of private facts, eavesdropping, misrepresentation, deceit, fraud, defamation, false light, tortious interference . . . .or any combination thereof. The media are given no special permission to violate laws when gathering information for a story. They must obey laws like everyone else.

The media will often have some affirmative defenses, however, that they can use when defending against a suit. Courts will generally balance the right of the public to know and the newsworthiness of a story covered by the media against the rights of the persons who, or the entities that, are exposed in a story. The media have won some suits, and they have lost others. The decisions made by the courts are all made based on the specific facts presented in each case. The decisions made on all court cases will depend on the facts.

It is often the case that when a person or an entity has committed a crime that affects or could affect the public in a meaningful way (ie. the theft by stores of people's winning lottery ticket dollars), and this crime is exposed on tv, the people (or entities) who were exposed will have no cause of action they could win easily against the media group that exposed their criminal activity. Again, however, any suit filed and any decision made by a court in a suit will be based on all of the facts that are presented that are specific to each individual case.

For hypothetical questions, the best answer will always be "it depends."

Last edited:

HiFi

Thank You Quincy

Your are one of the few people on this board I like and respect. Here's what gets me angry: the dude who wrote "It depends" was just being a wise ass.
If people don't want to answer what they consider to be a hypothetical question then the intelligent thing is don't answer instead of them telling me "I am not allowed to ask what they deem hypotheticals because they deem it not worthy. Until this board officially states in its FAQs or a written standard someplace, that one can not ask hypothetical questions then I will continue to do so. If no one else likes it, then just ignore the question instead of responding with "How Dare You", etc. If the moderator wants to kick me off for this fine. It would seem simpler and wiser to have an official rule and standard rather than be attacked by the inmates. If this is put into the FAQ's I will be happy to abide by it.

What's hilarious about this is that you can not be guilty of breaking a law if there is no official law but people here practice vigilante justice.

Mnemosyne

Until this board officially states in its FAQs or written standards that posters must refrain from responding to your threads unless you approve their answers, they will continue to post whenever and whatever they wish. If you dislike the "vigilante" climate here, you are free to choose never to return.

Your are one of the few people on this board I like and respect. Here's what gets me angry: the dude who wrote "It depends" was just being a wise ass.
If people don't want to answer what they consider to be a hypothetical question then the intelligent thing is don't answer instead of them telling me "I am not allowed to ask what they deem hypotheticals because they deem it not worthy. Until this board officially states in its FAQs or a written standard someplace, that one can not ask hypothetical questions then I will continue to do so. If no one else likes it, then just ignore the question instead of responding with "How Dare You", etc. If the moderator wants to kick me off for this fine. It would seem simpler and wiser to have an official rule and standard rather than be attacked by the inmates. If this is put into the FAQ's I will be happy to abide by it.

What's hilarious about this is that you can not be guilty of breaking a law if there is no official law but people here practice vigilante justice.

Zigner

The REALLY funny thing is that "It depends" is the ONLY correct answer to your question. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">