• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if an apartment complex never told you your debt went to collections?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

realagg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I'm a newly graduated college student. I just got a new job, and so to perform that job, I applied to get my first apartment. I wanted to have a good idea of what the apartment management would be judging me on, so I went ahead and got my credit report. My credit would actually be in the 750 range - which I personally feel is decent for someone that just graduated.

However, when I applied, I found out that I owed $185 that I didn't know I owed. The debt was to an apartment from my *sophomore* year of college. Apparently, they had charged me after I moved out for having to steam-clean my room.

Now, I'm not upset about the $185 - if my room is a mess, it was a mess. But I never knew that I owed this money, nor do they have any record showing that they provided me notice.

As a result of this, an apartment complex I applied to wanted a month's worth of rent - roughly $1200 - as a deposit. Typically, the deposit is about $175.

I contacted the apartment I used to live at, and they confirmed my story exactly. I paid the account that I didn't know about, and they wrote me a letter admitting that they were in the wrong and that they hadn't properly communicated what fees I owed when I left. That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, my credit score went down for that mistake, and it might go down even more for an admission of debt.

So I guess my question is, "can I salvage my credit in light of the apartment complex's admission of their mistake?"
My credit score dropped *eighty* points over $180.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I'm a newly graduated college student. I just got a new job, and so to perform that job, I applied to get my first apartment. I wanted to have a good idea of what the apartment management would be judging me on, so I went ahead and got my credit report. My credit would actually be in the 750 range - which I personally feel is decent for someone that just graduated.

However, when I applied, I found out that I owed $185 that I didn't know I owed. The debt was to an apartment from my *sophomore* year of college. Apparently, they had charged me after I moved out for having to steam-clean my room.

Now, I'm not upset about the $185 - if my room is a mess, it was a mess. But I never knew that I owed this money, nor do they have any record showing that they provided me notice.

As a result of this, an apartment complex I applied to wanted a month's worth of rent - roughly $1200 - as a deposit. Typically, the deposit is about $175.

I contacted the apartment I used to live at, and they confirmed my story exactly. I paid the account that I didn't know about, and they wrote me a letter admitting that they were in the wrong and that they hadn't properly communicated what fees I owed when I left. That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, my credit score went down for that mistake, and it might go down even more for an admission of debt.

So I guess my question is, "can I salvage my credit in light of the apartment complex's admission of their mistake?"
My credit score dropped *eighty* points over $180.
Ask the old complex to have the debt removed from your credit report in exchange for you paying the $180.

As a note, typical deposits on apartments are in the one-month range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">