• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when unemployment runs out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tornado88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Seeing another thread on here got me to thinking. Ex is drawing unemployment and has been since the first of September '09. Even with the extension that Illinois has put into place I would think his benefits would soon be running out though I may be wrong. As soon as he was fired, ex asked for and was granted a court ordered decrease in his CS amount. He has told me he is not even looking for another job and won't be until his benefits run out. Do I believe him? I don't know he lies like a rug so it's hard to tell. He worked under the table during the fall months for farmers and stated in court he was not working. Sooo....

What happens when his benefits expire and he has no income? Will the judge impute a minimum wage income on him or leave it where it is now? Will the fact that he was fired as oppossed to being laid off because of the economy matter any?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Seeing another thread on here got me to thinking. Ex is drawing unemployment and has been since the first of September '09. Even with the extension that Illinois has put into place I would think his benefits would soon be running out though I may be wrong. As soon as he was fired, ex asked for and was granted a court ordered decrease in his CS amount. He has told me he is not even looking for another job and won't be until his benefits run out. Do I believe him? I don't know he lies like a rug so it's hard to tell. He worked under the table during the fall months for farmers and stated in court he was not working. Sooo....

What happens when his benefits expire and he has no income? Will the judge impute a minimum wage income on him or leave it where it is now? Will the fact that he was fired as oppossed to being laid off because of the economy matter any?
When his benefits expire nothing will be done as long as he continues to pay the court ordered amount.

At some point you can file for a modification, but you'll need to be able to prove what his income is.

He has already requested a downward modification and it was granted even though he was fired rather than laid off, so no, that won't matter later, they only way it might is if he stops paying and is taken in for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">