• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if I don't pay owed state taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panzertanker

What is the name of your state?FL, but taxes are owed to state of GA
Many of you know me, so you know I am not a deadbeat. I was just curious what happens when you move out of state, file your state taxes (as I was a resident of GA for all of 2004) and owe money. I sent them the check, but was curious what they can do to those who do not pay?
If you are no longer a resident of that state, can they still go after you for taxes owed? What if the postmark was 4/16/2005 for the check I mailed? (oops, I didin't make it to the post office on tax day...)
Thanks for all replies......

Snipes5

Yes, they can still go after you even if you don't live in the state anymore. If your check is postmarked one day late, they can either bill you for one day's interest, or take the check and call it a day.

Snipes

panzertanker

Snipes5 said:
Yes, they can still go after you even if you don't live in the state anymore. If your check is postmarked one day late, they can either bill you for one day's interest, or take the check and call it a day.

Snipes
Thanks snipes. I knew they could go after those who don't pay. I was wondering IF they bothered. I guess they could go after a judgement?
I have often wondered what happens to state taxes. Everyone is so worried about federal, yet I have not read anything on the boards lately about the state returns...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">