• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What If Lease Is Not Filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbers

What is the name of your state?In Texas, an oil/gas lease in which I own a Royalty Interest is not filed of record in the county deed records. Only a "Memorandum" of the lease is on file. It is basically only a property description. Is an unfiled lease still valid? Is it valid only on the lessor and lessee, and not on third parties? Any other implications of an unfiled lease?

S

seniorjudge

barbers said:
What is the name of your state?In Texas, an oil/gas lease in which I own a Royalty Interest is not filed of record in the county deed records. Only a "Memorandum" of the lease is on file. It is basically only a property description. Is an unfiled lease still valid? Is it valid only on the lessor and lessee, and not on third parties? Any other implications of an unfiled lease?
Check to see if the recorded memorandum incorporates by reference the terms of the actual lease.

barbers

seniorjudge said:
Check to see if the recorded memorandum incorporates by reference the terms of the actual lease.
Yes, it does. Is that all it takes to make the terms of the lease valid -- and valid to all affected parties?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Is that all it takes to make the terms of the lease valid -- and valid to all affected parties?

A: I have no idea if the terms of the lease are valid since I have never read it. However, from what you say, it appears that there is public notice of the terms of the lease on record in the land deed records of your county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">