• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is child support suppose to cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaysquared

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I am currently paying child support to my child's mother who has full custody. It is being collected through ORS and deposited to her account. I'm just wondering what child support is suppose to cover.. I know it should cover the basic essentials food, clothes, roof over his head. But i'm wondering what else should it cover? Does it cover if I want my son to start taking karate classes or sports activities. Is it suppose to cover toys & games? Also do I have any say in where tha money goes? Like can I tell my his mom to sign him up to karate classes or is it for hers to do whatever she likes to it?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I am currently paying child support to my child's mother who has full custody. It is being collected through ORS and deposited to her account. I'm just wondering what child support is suppose to cover.. I know it should cover the basic essentials food, clothes, roof over his head. But i'm wondering what else should it cover? Does it cover if I want my son to start taking karate classes or sports activities. Is it suppose to cover toys & games? Also do I have any say in where tha money goes? Like can I tell my his mom to sign him up to karate classes or is it for hers to do whatever she likes to it?
Mom has a right to spend HER money anyway she sees fit -- and child support is HER money. ANd you do NOT get to dictate that sonny boy takes karate and mom pays for it.

jaysquared

Mom has a right to spend HER money anyway she sees fit -- and child support is HER money. ANd you do NOT get to dictate that sonny boy takes karate and mom pays for it.
So its her money but she is technically suppose to spend it on my son correct? So if I was to tell her to sign him up for karate would the child support cover that or would that be considered an extra expense and we would split the cost of the classes?

Did you even bother to search the boards? 'Cause this question is asked routinely.
Sorry but dont know the keywords to use. I'll try and search for it then...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So its her money but she is technically suppose to spend it on my son correct? So if I was to tell her to sign him up for karate would the child support cover that or would that be considered an extra expense and we would split the cost of the classes?

Is your son
  • fed?
  • clothed?
  • housed?
  • utilities working?

If the answer to the questions above is yes, then the money is being spent on Junior.

BL

Bottom line from experience , as was said the CS payments go to the mother for the care of the child.

There is no police to see where the money is going .

It's to help support the child's necessities .

Room over their head .

Food and clothing .

School supplies , etc .

As long as the child is not being neglected of the needs , you have no say .

TinkerBelleLuvr

Karate is EXTRA-curricular activity. How does your court order specify the division of the costs? It sure sounds like YOU want this, not the mom.

Typically speaking child support is supposed to include a certain amount for "lifestyle." However, your imput is largely limited to what your ex and you can agree to do. The courts can step in if child support is being abused, but that doesn't include not putting junior in the martial art classes you want him in. Nor can you compell your ex to split the costs of martial arts classes with you, and she can't just go put junior in hockey and expect you to split the bill either.

Of course, and I know this is a wild suggestion for some people these days, but you could sit down and speak to your ex and try to work out an agreement all without judical oversight. As strange as it might seem there was a time in the good old US of A where people raised their children without a family court.

LdiJ

You cannot tell her to sign the child up for anything.

No, child support does NOT cover an extra curricular activity.

You can ASK mom to agree to signing your child up for Karate. You can ASK mom to agree to pay for half. However, if mom doesn't agree, then the child either isn't going to be signed up for Karate (unless the classes can take place on your time only) and/or unless you pay for it in full yourself.

The same would apply to any activity that mom wants to enrol the child in. If you don't agree or don't agree to pay for half, then the child won't be enrolled unless it can happen on mom's time only and/or unless mom pays for it in full herself.

The only exception to this would be if your orders specifically address the issues of extra curricular activities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">