• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Musicman45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I was recently arrested for smoking marijuana due to smell alone. I just received a summons stating that I have been charged with COUNT I POSSESSION less than 40g. My question is if the act of smoking is considered possession? I had nothing on me at the time, besides the THC that had entered my system from smoking earlier. Also if I had the blunt in my hand at one point in time is that also considered possession?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I was recently arrested for smoking marijuana due to smell alone. I just received a summons stating that I have been charged with COUNT I POSSESSION less than 40g. My question is if the act of smoking is considered possession? I had nothing on me at the time, besides the THC that had entered my system from smoking earlier. Also if I had the blunt in my hand at one point in time is that also considered possession?
Were you caught or observed with the dope in your hand/pocket/car/home? If so, that can be possession.

In some states, consumption may be considered a form of "internal" possession, if you will. I know that varies by county down here (for purposes of alcohol, anyway) how it works in WA, I just could not say. I suspect they saw you with or can show that at some point you DID possess the substance and that is what their case is built around.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">