• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the easiest and quickest way to ensure your children stay in your state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
I would like to know what is the easiest and quickest way to ensure your children stay in the state they are in currently. My cousin lives in Montana, he has 3 children(age 12 11 and 6) that also live in the state of Montana with his seperated wife. They haven't yet gotten a divorce but have been seperated for over 4 years. He is active in the childrens lives though his career takes him out of state alot. Because of his career he isn't able to put alot of time into legal stuff right now because he isnt able to always be in the state at specific times. His children have lived in Montana for the past 7 years, the father's permanent resident is also there, one set of grandparents are there. There is no current parenting plan, the mother simply has them because of the fathers career. He is current on his child support and pay the childrens insurance. Recently the astranged wife has said she is moving with her boyfriend to Missouri around January. The oldest children are very upset about this and the father would like to do something but thinks there is nothing he can do. Im under the impression that if he supports the children and is in their lives, there has to be something he can do. Ive seen in a divorce packet there is a parenting plan, is it possible he can submit that without all the divorce papers? Or is there anyone that he can contact that can make sure the children aren't removed from the state. Anything relatively quick, since she wants to move so soon. Any information would be helpful

ecmst12

He needs a lawyer if he doesn't have time to go to court. But his choices are to let them move with her, or to attempt to get custody of them himself. He can NOT require his ex to remain in the state. He can only try to make it so the CHILDREN stay there, with him. If he doesn't want custody because of his job, then the best he can hope for is requiring her to foot the bill for ALL transportation for visits, and to get the standard long-distance visitation schedule.

LdiJ

He needs a lawyer if he doesn't have time to go to court. But his choices are to let them move with her, or to attempt to get custody of them himself. He can NOT require his ex to remain in the state. He can only try to make it so the CHILDREN stay there, with him. If he doesn't want custody because of his job, then the best he can hope for is requiring her to foot the bill for ALL transportation for visits, and to get the standard long-distance visitation schedule.
I agree. It sounds to me like dad is not in a position to take custody himself, therefore he would be hard pressed to fight the relocation.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
I would like to know what is the easiest and quickest way to ensure your children stay in the state they are in currently. My cousin lives in Montana, he has 3 children(age 12 11 and 6) that also live in the state of Montana with his seperated wife. They haven't yet gotten a divorce but have been seperated for over 4 years. He is active in the childrens lives though his career takes him out of state alot. Because of his career he isn't able to put alot of time into legal stuff right now because he isnt able to always be in the state at specific times. His children have lived in Montana for the past 7 years, the father's permanent resident is also there, one set of grandparents are there. There is no current parenting plan, the mother simply has them because of the fathers career. He is current on his child support and pay the childrens insurance. Recently the astranged wife has said she is moving with her boyfriend to Missouri around January. The oldest children are very upset about this and the father would like to do something but thinks there is nothing he can do. Im under the impression that if he supports the children and is in their lives, there has to be something he can do. Ive seen in a divorce packet there is a parenting plan, is it possible he can submit that without all the divorce papers? Or is there anyone that he can contact that can make sure the children aren't removed from the state. Anything relatively quick, since she wants to move so soon. Any information would be helpful
Its been FOUR years... um, why stay married? She has a boyfriend. I'd say its time to submit the whole packet or hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">