• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is their obligation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I was named as a defendant in a small claims case. The hearing falls during my work hours. Is my employer obligated by law to give me the time off to defend myself? Would it make any difference that I work for a non-profit? Do they have to pay me that day, anyway?

Thank you, in advance...

Antigone*

I was named as a defendant in a small claims case. The hearing falls during my work hours. Is my employer obligated by law to give me the time off to defend myself? Would it make any difference that I work for a non-profit? Do they have to pay me that day, anyway?

Thank you, in advance...
What makes you think they'd have to pay you? What did they say when you showed them the summons?

HomeGuru

Thank you, in advance...
**A: you get time off but unpaid. If work related then they pay.

I moved here from Canada a number of years ago and, in Canada, they'd have to pay me.

To answer your question, when I showed my superior the summons, she said, "Wow. That's most unfortunate." I am reasonably sure that I won't be faced with any impediments, I was just trying to do some research. Can you answer my questions, please?

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, MA's Small Necessities Leave Act does not cover court time. In these specific circumstances the answers are no, no, and no.

That does not mean your employer will not give you the time off. It means that the time is not protected by law and can be held against you. It need not be paid and the fact that it is a non-profit is irrelevant.

eerelations

I moved here from Canada a number of years ago and, in Canada, they'd have to pay me.
Uh-uh, nope, absolutely not.

In Canada, if you're subpoenaed (sp?) as a witness, then your employer can't fire you. But your employer does not have to pay you. The court system pays you, and if your employer chooses to pay you for your time in court, your employer may require you to hand over whatever the court system pays you for your time in court. And this is not only legal, but extremely common.

In Canada, if you're called as a defendant in a civil case, such as one in small claims court, the court system does not pay you for your time. Your employer is not legally required to pay you for your time in court, and your employer is legally allowed to fire you for being absent from work because you were spending your work time defending yourself in court.

Period.

I'm in Canada and have been providing legal advice and guidance to Canadian employers and employees for more than 20 years. The foregoing is 100% accurate and true.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">