• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What legal action, if any, can I take against my company if this is discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xlimepops

The company I work for has a scheduling system and you can choose your availability depending on your needs (school, other job etc.). As a full time associate I get to pick between 3 different full time options. I need the 3rd option because it allows me to select up to 4 mornings scheduled a week. (which is exactly what I need). Nowhere on any paperwork does it say the department I'm in is excluded from choosing option 3 and the computer allowed me to do it but now they are claiming I can't and I need to select something else. Choosing option 3 does not give me any less hours than I previously had so I don't understand the issue. I honestly feel like I'm being discriminated against because I am a student because they allow others to select this option. So my question is what legal action, if any, can I take against the company? I don't want their money I just want to be able to work the availability I need (the availability they led me to believe I could work) without feeling like I'm being bullied into doing what they want me to.

My location is Colorado.

Proserpina

The company I work for has a scheduling system and you can choose your availability depending on your needs (school, other job etc.). As a full time associate I get to pick between 3 different full time options. I need the 3rd option because it allows me to select up to 4 mornings scheduled a week. (which is exactly what I need). Nowhere on any paperwork does it say the department I'm in is excluded from choosing option 3 and the computer allowed me to do it but now they are claiming I can't and I need to select something else. Choosing option 3 does not give me any less hours than I previously had so I don't understand the issue. I honestly feel like I'm being discriminated against because I am a student because they allow others to select this option. So my question is what legal action, if any, can I take against the company? I don't want their money I just want to be able to work the availability I need (the availability they led me to believe I could work) without feeling like I'm being bullied into doing what they want me to.

My location is Colorado.

The bottom line is it's entirely up to them - they give you a schedule that's unworkable? You have two choices. Work what they say you are working, or find another job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your subject heading question is, None. This is not in any way, shape or form illegal discrimination. It is 100% legal to "discriminate" on the basis of both department and student status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">