• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What power does a Habeas Corpus filed by a parent REALLY have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MinCA

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I know a habeas corpus is a document questioning the legality of detaining someone, and that a parent can file one on behalf of his/her children. But what power does this document really have? Can it overturn a custody order if proven that laws and Constitutional rights have been violated by the current order? Or is it merely a formality that results in nothing?

Also, is it filed in the local court, state supreme court, or a court at the federal level?

I did a google search and didn't find anything helpful. We have the 2005 editions of the Westlaw Family and Juvenile Laws and Codes book, in addition to the 2004 and 2003 editions of each book, and some other books, and unless it's just total exhaustion that is clouding our brains, a complete possibility with the extreme lack of sleep we get, then we haven't found anything useful there either.

The highly-condensed short end(the case file is brought into court in a box instead of file due to the amount of stuff in this case): This child may not be mine biologically, but I love her and can't stand knowing she's being hurt. I was molested once by a babysitter and was in therapy for a long time, and she's been going through sexual abuse, mental abuse, and physical abuse, for half her life. Every additional day she's in an unsafe area and in harm's way is another day she's not getting help or being kept safe. Her father, by hubby, is in a near state of panic right now, having never been given any reason at all why he isn't allowed to see his child unless it's at a convenient time for the "mother" (and it hasn't been at all for the last month, despite the child being with babysitters for more than 40 hours per week in addition to school with a "mother" who works less than 20 hours-and that woman testified to that in court-we have the transcripts!). The visits are directly supervised by a social worker because this woman says the child is upset after visits, though the social worker even told the judge the child gets upset when she asks if she can go home with us and we have to tell her she can't, that the child is upset because she doesn't get to see us very often! The social worker also testified that the child is "extremely bonded" to me, even though I am a biological relation. No matter, we haven't seen her in a month and that was only because the social worker called her almost every day for a couple of weeks to convince her to let us see this little girl.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In all honesty, your husband cannot afford to NOT have an attorney to at least advise him. His situation is extremely complicated, and he's already managed to piss a judge off. He could call law schools in your area to see if any of them have legal clinics - most do to give their senior students experience. That would be better than nothing. This time of year is a good time to call the bar association and ask for a list of attorneys with pro bono time - the calendar has only just ticked over, so there's a good shot at finding someone.

MinCA

"He could call law schools in your area to see if any of them have legal clinics - most do to give their senior students experience." I'll tell him this. Stanford has a good law program, right? He works literally down the road from them, a road appropriately called University Avenue. It dead-ends inside Stanford. I might call them myself-hubby works until about 6.

We've wondered how to find attorneys with pro bono time. To my understanding, most, if not all, are required to do at least some time pro bono each year?

I can't tell you how many times we've each been in tears feeling hopeless over this. I don't believe blood is what makes family (most of mine is family by marriage or something, not blood, and they mean the world to me-this is just how I was raised, in case you wonder why I love a little girl so much who doesn't match my DNA), and it kills us to see her crying when we do get visitation with her and she talks about what's happening and begging to go home with us. Even with the social worker sitnessing this the judge has done NOTHING to alleviate the siatuation, to protect her from danger. He refuses to sign restraining orders to keep her uncle, grandfather, and two family friends who are all on Megan's List away from her. They can see her, but her daddy can't!

The irony behind the phrase "can not afford to not have" is that the money is either there or it's not. We teetertotter on whether to sell our car, but can't as the cost of transportation to work and to court over two hours away (the child was a resident of this county before CPS took her away from the grandmother while supposed to be in bio-mom's custody) would quickly eat up whatever we'd get for a car, and then some, since there is NO public transportation here. No BART, no buses. To fund this case, all the times in court, we've sold nearly all our possessions, literally, and taking so much time off work is difficult. Not helped by me being disabled due to such frequent abscessing. If the money was there, we'd hire an attorney in a heartbeat, even if just for an hour.

Thanks for those bits though about where to get some help. We gave up last November after running into roadblocks everywhere we turned for help. Neither of us would have thought of calling a law school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">