• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What R my rights as single mother??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SunnyDayC

I'm not taking that in a negative way at all.

Things started heading downhill at the discovery of the pregnancy. From what I'd heard of his past, he'd had a substance abuse problem since HS, however when we got together it was under control and he had gotten treatment. He was and still has it in him to be a great man and a decent father if he can find the will and a reason to get his act together again.

As I've stated in previous posts, I've done everything in my power to communicate with him in a civil manner. I've laid down stipulations for him to follow, very reasonable ones at that; I asked for nothing more than proof of an ongoing program and a drug test upon supervised visitation once a week for a few hours. Given 6 months of proven sobriety, I made it VERY clear that I was willing to reconsider the terms and conditions.

I don't know if you know much about substance abuse, but certain narcotics can take over your mind, body and actions in a way uncomprehensible to us sober people. I supported him (while pregnant) through 3 different detox/treatment centers which he failed miserably and spat on my efforts to start a family and help him through this disease. My son was born 3 months premature due to the stress of his addiction (diagnosed by my ob doc), not only that, but I was verbally, emotionally and physically abused in the process. I have a right to be angry with him, however despite that anger I've still made every effort to let him see his son, and he refuses those efforts, demanding things I'm not comfortable with in the interest of my sons saftey.

I have questions regarding court, I don't want to sit here and defend my actions..I strongly believe that what I'm doing is right and just and would appreciate any answers that I can get. Thank you for all your help!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please remove your son's identifying info. This is a public board, and it's not the brightest thing to have it displayed to the world.

S

SunnyDayC

I've never stated his name, or mine..there's thousands of children born early that have fathers with drug problems. I don't have a problem putting this out there, and in doing so, I'm not putting my son's saftey in jeopardy..just want answers...can anyone help please?? Instead of critisizing and harping on me???

AHA

Thing is, he has as much legal right to see his child as you do, so denying him that wouldn't look good if it goes as far as to court. If you are worried, make sure he's not alone with the kid, take the kid to the park, or something, together. That way you can watch how he and the kid relate to each other. If you have proof of him being unfit as a parent and shouldn't have anything to do with the kid, take him to court and show a judge your proof.
If your ex has straightened up and wants to take the resonsibility to be a dad, you have to let him, for your kid's sake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">