• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What recourse do we have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iiabdfi

What is the name of your state? VA

My bf was recently in a car accident and received a DUI. He was taken to a trauma unit at a local hospital, where one of our neighbors just happens to work as a pharmacist. Upon returning home, this neighbor asked me specific details about the accident, which I did not answer. However, a few days later, two people recounted to me details she shared with them regarding the accident. She told them she looked it up at work on the computer, and knew she could get fired for it if I found out.
Well, they told me, and I asked her about it. She said she did tell them the info, but never admitted to me that she looked it up at work. I immediately called the hospital, and they are looking into it, and they have told me that they suspect that she also has looked into my medical records there from treatment I received there years ago.
Do I have a case against her? What type of atty should I contact if so?

fairisfair

use your search function regarding HIPAA, and the answer is no, you probably do not have a case against her, but she will probably be disciplined or fired from her position.

garrula lingua

quote:
"My bf was recently in a car accident and received a DUI."

NO. Your drunken boyfriend crashed into something.

He did not RECEIVE a DUI.
It was not handed to him, as a reward.
He drank, until he was impaired, and then he drove - when he should not have driven.

So, go ahead, get your nosy neighbor fired; she shouldn't be looking up neighbor's info.
She will probably be a very pleasant, friendly neighbor to you, in the future. And she will be unemployed, so she can sit and look at your house all day.

And your boyfriend is still a drunk driver who crashed his car (he probably CAUSED the 'accident'). Did he hurt anyone else ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">