• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kayla88

Emancipation requirements:

A child must be sixteen or older to file for emancipation

They must provide a stable plan to the courts. This includes continuing school, a prior established job, and acceptable living arrangements. They must prove that they can take care of themselves, not be taken care of by someone other than their parents. A court will absolutely NOT grant emancipation without the child continuing high school education (or having graduated early) AND having a job good enough to support themselves already established. He can't go in and say, "well, I plan on finding a job." Nope. He already has to have it.

The child must prove that emancipation would improve their quality of life (ie. parents are alcoholics, for instance).

The child must prove to the courts that their reasoning is sound. For instance, "my parents are too strict" won't do it. It takes a lot to grant emancipation, so they need GOOD reasoning.

The child must provide proof as to maturity. This is usually done by employee/teacher/etc affidavits, as well as history of teenage life. For instance, having held a job would help in determining maturity. Straight As would help. Responsible extracurriculars (such as a volunteer club or something that helps the greater good rather than contributing to personal enjoyment). That kind of thing.

Lastly, you're a minor. You can't do anything for him...I'm sorry. Even once you turn 18, the courts will likely still determine you too young to take custody of a teenager. If he's being abused or something serious is going on, tell him to talk to his school counselor or call CPS. If it's not serious, he only has two years left. That's not so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">