• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do about previous visit to other countries when asking for asylum in US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cageycruz

What is the name of your state? California

Russian citizen now in Tijuana Mexico trying to get appointment through CBPOne for credible fear interview. Gay and draft age so hopefully can qualify for asylum. Have a US sponsor willing to host and pay for everything

Problem is previous trips to other countries. Recently to Armenia and Georgia to avoid conscription into Russian army. And many years ago a trip to France and Germany.

International Passport was stolen back then and had to return to Russia using only national ID card. Applied for and got another international passport with different number (Russia did not find previous passport) so no record of trips to France and Germany.

Concerned that request for asylum because of persecution due to sexual orientation may be refused because of these prior trips to France and Germany. Yet there is no record of these trips on present passport document.

So what to do? Don't mention them? Or disclose and risk denial because of first country rule?

doucar

You forgot the third option. Do not disclose it and risk it being found out and being permanently excluded from the country.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California

Russian citizen now in Tijuana Mexico trying to get appointment through CBPOne for credible fear interview. Gay and draft age so hopefully can qualify for asylum. Have a US sponsor willing to host and pay for everything

Problem is previous trips to other countries. Recently to Armenia and Georgia to avoid conscription into Russian army. And many years ago a trip to France and Germany.

International Passport was stolen back then and had to return to Russia using only national ID card. Applied for and got another international passport with different number (Russia did not find previous passport) so no record of trips to France and Germany.

Concerned that request for asylum because of persecution due to sexual orientation may be refused because of these prior trips to France and Germany. Yet there is no record of these trips on present passport document.

So what to do? Don't mention them? Or disclose and risk denial because of first country rule?
It is rarely smart to lie.

LdiJ

I also doubt that a visit to France and Germany would go against you in an interview anyway...particularly one many years ago.

cageycruz

I also doubt that a visit to France and Germany would go against you in an interview anyway...particularly one many years ago.
That is the most useful advice, I hope it is true.

Based on what I'd previously been told it seemed that the situation was disclose the previous trips and be instantly rejected.
Or lie and possibly be rejected (perhaps permanently) if discovered. Not good choices.

Thank you all for replies so far and I look forward to any other experience people can share.

LdiJ

That is the most useful advice, I hope it is true.

Based on what I'd previously been told it seemed that the situation was disclose the previous trips and be instantly rejected.
Or lie and possibly be rejected (perhaps permanently) if discovered. Not good choices.

Thank you all for replies so far and I look forward to any other experience people can share.
Who told you that a trip to France or Germany could/would cause an instant reject? That seems absurd unless you are old enough to be accused of NAZI war crimes from WW2.

quincy

Who told you that a trip to France or Germany could/would cause an instant reject? That seems absurd unless you are old enough to be accused of NAZI war crimes from WW2.
A new international passport was issued by Russia with a different number after the original passport was stolen. The stolen passport was not found.

The fact that the travels to France and Germany are not indicated on the new(er) passport potentially could raise issues as could the fact that the original passport under a different number could exist somewhere.

LdiJ

A new international passport was issued by Russia with a different number after the original passport was stolen. The stolen passport was not found.

The fact that the travels to France and Germany are not indicated on the new(er) passport potentially could raise issues as could the fact that the original passport under a different number could exist somewhere.
I doubt it. In the US new passports (renewed ones) don't list previous travel either. None of my renewed passports ever listed previous travel.

cageycruz

An immigration attorney said that. First country rule. Need to apply for asylum in the first foreign country traveled to. Only if denied can US asylum even be considered.

quincy

I doubt it. In the US new passports (renewed ones) don't list previous travel either. None of my renewed passports ever listed previous travel.
This is not a “renewed” passport. cageycruz was issued a brand new passport with a new passport number.

cageycruz, I think you might have misunderstood what the immigration lawyer told you. Were you settled in a country other than Russia prior to applying for asylum in the US? In other words, what was your last country of residence?

Last edited:

cageycruz

No was not settled in France or Garmany. Residence has been Russia.

But while in Armenia did get a mark on Russian national passport (not international passport) that I think may be a forgery. But it was accepted by Armenian bank to create an account.

LdiJ

This is not a “renewed” passport. cageycruz was issued a brand new passport with a new passport number.

cageycruz, I think you might have misunderstood what the immigration lawyer told you. Were you settled in a country other than Russia prior to applying for asylum in the US? In other words, what was your last country of residence?
If that is the practice of Russia, the US immigration people will know that. I suspect it is common practice everywhere with a lost or stolen passport. It is certainly logical as how would they be able to put the lost or stolen one on a watch list if the number was still in use on a valid passport?

quincy

No was not settled in France or Garmany. Residence has been Russia.

But while in Armenia did get a mark on Russian national passport (not international passport) that I think may be a forgery. But it was accepted by Armenian bank to create an account.
Thanks for answering my question.

As noted earlier, you should tell the truth. If you lie about your past or omit relevant facts about your past, you are more likely to be denied asylum, should the lies or omissions be discovered. I would not bet on this information not being discovered either.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">