• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if you are victim of a greencard marriage sham

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TINACASTILLEJOS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I was married in 09-95 to a man who entered into the U.S illegally from Peru we married rather quickly and then I found out that he was using me to obtain greencard, we had started the app process but never completed it. I was threatened by members of his family and physically abused, I had him arrested and deported in November we did have 1 child I dont know where he is and dont care dont want money I just want to know is our marriage legal and binding still? If so, what must I do since I have knowledge of his where abouts, I was told our marriage would be anulled so I remarried in '04 now someone has mentioned that it may not be valid is this true?:confused:

Ronin

If you were married in the U.S., then your marriage to the Peruvian is valid and binding until you have a divorce decree or anullment saying otherwise. Unless you have either in hand that predates your current marriage, then not only could your current marriage be deemed invalid, but this could cause other problems you are probably well aware of.

Dandy Don

Talk to a local family law attorney. There are steps YOU can take to annul the marriage if you want to. And attorney can advise whether it would be beneficial or not for you to report this matter to the local immigration office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">