• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South carolina

Ok, here is an interesting situation. There was a credit card OVER 7 years ago atleast. It is LONG GONE from my credit. Out of the blue, this collection agency calls my mother in Georgia and starts asking her questions about me. My mother asks what this is about. They will not tell her. Finally, she says, ok, Im her. They then tell her that I owe 1600.00 and that there is a one time offer to pay only 25% of what I owe.

I told my mother, first of all, you should not have told them you were me. Now, they will put you on the autodialer and you will be bothered 24 hours a day. 2ndly, this debt is well over 8 years old if not longer as it is gone from my credit and I believe there is a 3 year SOL in this state so they are SOL.

will sending a c&s letter handle this? I mean, it is pretty straight foward. Even if they went to court, it is past SOL. My hubby and I agree that there has not been usage of this card since we were married at the LEAST and that has been over 8 years. Any thoughts so they do not harass my VERY elderly parents?

add on

Just a quick add on: My mother called this woman back, she was from asset acceptance. She asked this woman for her address so I could send a c&s letter and she stated to my mother that I could not do that and refused to give my mother her address. Mom also told her that the debt was past the SOL and that I was married now, living under another name in another state and that she shouldnt call her home anymore. She told me that this woman was very irate with her on the phone and tried to bully my phone number out of her. My mother refused to give it to her and told her that the number they were calling was a Georgia number and I did not live in the state. She then hung up. Can I look up a general address of Asset Acceptance and send it there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">